Saturday, May 13, 2006

Soggy Saturday

It's been a wet couple of days here in Iowa. It's put the training run for Dirty Kanza off for a day. It's looking as though the temps are going to turn around just in time for the event, which will be the first time that I've been in humid, warm temperatures riding a bike for a long time. Hopefully it won't be a shock to the system. The training ride today would have been a cold, soggy mess, which is a far cry from what I'll be dealing with in Kansas. No sense in risking the chance of getting sick, or wrecking equipment today. Tomorrow is supposed to be a bit better, so I'll take my chances then.

It's going to be a full-on test of the ride set up I have planned. All the lights, map case, and any extra stuff like nutrition is coming along for the ride. Even though I'm not probably going to use much of it, it's coming along to see how it all works together on the bike. I can make any final tweaks to my set up and things I carry along now instead of wishing I could in the middle of "No-where-ville", Kansas. Hopefully, the set up I have planned will be really close to ideal.

My plan so far also includes riding down to the event with a fellow T.I. veteran and getting all settled in on Friday night down in Emporia, Kansas. We are expecting a small contingent of Iowans to show up, plus some other T.I. vets, so it should be a bit of a "reunion" of sorts. I am really looking forward to riding with these guys. Heck, I'm really looking forward to riding with anybody! I usually ride alone whenever I go out. Not whining here, it's just how things have always worked out for me. Most people I know are on a different schedule than I am. I never let that stop me from riding my bikes, so I usually go it alone.

I still have some minor decisions to make.

Let's see........processed beef products, or cookie dough?

Hmm...............

No comments: