Wednesday, June 07, 2006

I Must Be Crazy!

I probably shouldn't mention this.......................................

..............................but I'm planning a ride.


Let me explain. See, ever since I got my feet wet in the endurance event scene by being one of the organizers of Trans Iowa I have had this thing.....this problem with staring at maps for hours on end coming up with new cycling routes through Iowa's backroads. Then I got my feet even wetter by actually riding in the Dirty Kanza 200. Well then I wanted to ride longer events, but there just isn't anything quite like T.I. or the D.K.200 coming up for a while. Soooooo............

To accomodate both of my sicknesses in one balled up, goofy effort, I am in the process of concocting another long gravel grinder for myself. Yep! This one's all about me and what I want. I know, I know..........that sounds so selfish. Well, it probably is and that's not the worst of it.

Right now the details of the course are being worked out. It probably will be 100 to 150 miles in a loop. The start and finish will be in Cedar Falls, Iowa. The tentative date is August 5th, on a Saturday. There will be "Curiak Rules" in effect: No entry fee, No swag, No race numbers, No support of any kind, and No pre-ride meeting. Just show up if you want to and be prepared to ride self supported. If nobody else comes but myself........I don't care. I'm doing this for myself, remember? I'm just putting this out for anyone of like mind that may want to hop on for the ride.

I'm going to need to know if you are coming just to have a map ready for you at the start. Otherwise, that's it. I will post more details at a later date, but the idea will be that at 10mph on course average, you will have plenty of sunlight to finish, so lights are not really necessary. Oh yeah.................I'm calling it the "Guitar Ted Death March Invitational" So, you've been invited!

Yep, I must be crazy! But I don't care. I'm going for a long gravel ride in early August and if anybody else shows up, well that'd be just peachy, but not necessary. In the meantime, I'll be staring at maps and riding lots and lots of gravel roads to get ready.

Maybe I'll see ya out there....................

No comments: