Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Nisene Marks State Park

Oh yeah......it burns! An Iowa flatlander hit the looooong climbs of California today and, well.....something had to give!

I tried out the Trek 69er single speed first, and man! That thing was geared waaay to high for me. 32 X 16 in the mountains where you have three mile long fire road climbs to get to and out of the trails was a bit ouchy, to say the least. Then I did something really stupid and rode them again on the new carbon HiFi trail bike. Right about now I'd say that walking is an integral part of my mountain biking experience! It wasn't as bad with gears, but I'd already roached myself on the single speed, so It still hurt bad!

I'll comment on the bikes on Twenty Nine Inches, so for now let me just say that these trails were spectacular. Crazy descends, swoopy turns, jumps, berms, and general mayhem were the order of the day. I am proud to say I only bit it once when I stuck a berm a bit high and it gave way on me. So, all in all we had a great time, but my body hurts!

A little rain early on made for some muddy sections and some sketchy corners, but not enough to affect the fun in a negative way. If you ever hit Cali, this place is crazy fun!

No comments: