Monday, July 30, 2007

Passing On The Heritage

Well, my ride report for this weekend is going to be a bit different. I didn't get out on any cool single track, or gravel grinder this weekend. I did something I think is just as cool, perhaps even better than that. I rode with my son for the first time.

I've got a little guy that had a 4th birthday here and I got him a bicycle. He's always been fascinated by the rigs in the house and he even comes down into the Guitar Ted Labratories at times, grabbing an allen key and walking around "fixing bikes" like his Dad does. So, I figured since he was showing some interest, I'd take him to the bike shop a few times and see what happened.

Well, one thing led to another and he got the bike. I thought it was cool being there to see the wonder and joy on his face when he first realized that this was "his" bike. It's cool to be there to tutor him and watch him figure out stuff I take for granted while he bobbles along on the sidewalk.

I will have to say that it's been the most rewarding thing I've done in terms of cycling and promoting it. Sure, I can point to Trans Iowa, the Big Wheeled Ballyhoo, and maybe even the Guitar Ted Death Ride Invitational as things that have "given back" to cycling, or that have influenced peoples lives in terms of cycling. But to be there to pass on my cycling heritage to the next generation...................priceless!

I don't know if cycling will stick to him or not. I don't know if he'll make anything from cycling in the future. I only know that I really look forward to that next multi lap around the block ride with my son. I'm going to enjoy every minute of it!

No comments: