Monday, March 01, 2010

Back On The Fargo

Nary a cloud in the sky, and with temps soaring into the 20's, meant I had to jump on the Fargo for a bit of a ride Saturday.

There is a wee bit of snow to melt out there!

This was on a northward road northeast of Waterloo.

I was expecting the roads to be a mess in spots, but I only found a few, small areas of  goo which were easily avoided. What snow there was still was tractable and not icy.
I kept up a steady pace for two hours. The wind out of the Northwest, which never varied at all in its intensity, insured that my legs had a nice burn going all the way back into Waterloo.

It was a good ride though. One I've needed for a long, long time. I just felt great when I got back, mentally. It's funny, but being out in that bright sunshine pedaling a bike was just what I needed.

It was also good to get a look at what the snow situation was going into March. Thinking Trans Iowa V6 recon here. It is going to be awhile before we'll get everything in order for the cue sheet print up. That said, if we don't get any more big snows, and can stay outta the path of heavy rains, I think a recon session is coming real soon.  Hope you all had a great weekend!

5 comments:

d.p. said...

I scoped out a couple sections yesterday. Not a single cleared B road. I'm not sure about the full recon real soon part...

Guitar Ted said...

@d.p. I think we'll have to do it in segments of driveable parts. The B sections will obviously have to wait until things clear out and then firm up.

Captain Bob said...

Glad to see you made it out. It was a good weekend.

Ari said...

I think there is going to be a lot of moisture out there. It will take tons of sun and mighty winds to dry up this mess. Temps here in IL are supposed to creep around the 40's this week. Yeah!
ari

Steve Fuller said...

A shaft drive bike might be just the ticket this year...