Wednesday, March 02, 2011

What Motivates Me

Several things have happened recently that have made me think.........a lot. Odd things and ordinary things together have inspired me to take stock of just "what-it-is" that makes me do what I do.

First and foremost, it has to be said that I like people and getting to know them. Well, it would be silly for any of us to be living like a monk and be reading this, really. I mean, I am sure that would be a violation of some sort of monastic tenet. So, you are probably like me that way, or you wouldn't be reading this. "Mr. Obvious" stuff right there, I know. But that said, it is a motivation for what I do here and elsewhere on the inner-webz.

Oh sure.....there are some bad apples. But for the most part, it's been a huge plus to have gotten to know so many folks through what I do. Nuff said!

Secondly, it is "the bike" thing. And really, that's it. Riding a bicycle, and riding, and riding, till I'm stupid and the "monkey-butt" is so bad I can't sit on the saddle for a few days. Wash, rinse, repeat. I don't really care about which bike it is, or what kind, if it is a new bike or an old one, a test bike, or just a one off custom bike. Does it have two wheels? Does it fit me reasonably well? I'm good.

Really. That is all there is to it.

<===Hey! Whaddya know? It's a "hand made" bicycle!

Now, I do like to write stuff, (again, cue the "Mr. Obvious" theme), and once in awhile, I seem to upset the apple cart, which gets me in hot water with some folks, seemingly, or mentioned on some big time cycling blog. Maybe I write things sometimes that folks actually like, (which apparently they do, by the reactions I get), but whatever it is, I don't let myself be motivated that way. If it inspires you to think about bicycles, or even better, to go out and ride one, instead of reading this non-sense, then all the better.

See, the thing is, I'd still write this stuff no matter if the audience was one, or whatever it is out there. I just am excited about bicycles and people that are into bicycles. So, if you think I am power mad, looney, looking for another test rig, or for anything other than the enjoyment of riding and writing about this bicycling stuff, then you just don't get it. I don't give a rip about any of the fluff beyond what I mentioned up top in this post.

And that is all.

I got a message last night from a fellow I admire who turned tables on me and told me that what I had done inspired him to "take a different direction" with regards to his cycling. Now he is tackling some stuff that is just mind-boggling. He said I was to blame for some of that. Hard to believe someone like that would credit this curmudgeonly crusty mechanic in Iowa for anything, much less that, but it is a prime example of what it really is all about. Riding bicycles, and inspiring each other to go over the next hill.

Think I'll go for a ride today. Hope to see ya somewhere down the trail...........

2 comments:

mw said...

i read that

Unknown said...

Word!