Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Fargo Will Go Far Saturday!

Don't change anything!
The Guitar Ted Death Ride Invitational is this weekend and this is the rig I am going to ride.

Why? Well, that has to do with two things. First- I traded the wheels off my "Orange Crush" machine for a bicycle for my wife, and I have not had a chance to get around to doing anything about building new wheels yet. So, the Black Mountain Cycles rig is not available at the moment.

Second- This will be a long adventure. So, it seems pretty suited to an "adventure bike", say like a Fargo perhaps? Yes- a Fargo would do nicely. Astute readers of this blog will note that I have been taking this rig out on the 3GR dates of late.

However; I have a few modifications I am planning to make before the big day Saturday. First- I will be adding at least one more bottle cage for a total of five. I could run six, but I'm not going to. Five should do. Secondly, I have a lighter wheelset with lighter tires I probably will probably be using. I have made the swap out for test riding today. We'll see how that holds up, and if it does, which I have no reason to believe it won't, that will be the wheel set for Saturday.

I'm running a 44T drive ring, and I am tempted to swap it over to a lower tooth count, but I think the lighter wheels will do the trick. Besides, I have the bail out granny ring if things get bad. That said, a different crank set is on the agenda for the old Fargo.

I'm going to go with a seat post bag for repair essentials, and the Snack Shack top tube bag which is roomier than the Banjo Brothers top tube bag I have on there in the image. That should do it. The temps for Saturday seem reasonably normal for mid-July, no rain is in the forecast, and I shouldn't need extra clothing.

By the way, I'll be at the Super 8 in Grinnell Friday evening and Saturday after the shindig, in case anyone needs to know. The GTDRI should be a good one this year. Hope to see some of you there......

No comments: