Friday, September 07, 2012

Friday News And Views

The new T.I.V9 header
Holy cow! It's Friday already. These holidays with Mondays off still throw me for a loop.

Trans Iowa V9: 

News from the upcoming Trans Iowa now- We have a new header on the site for the 2013 edition of the event. It is another design by Jeff Kerkove, who is with Topeak/Ergon these days, but was the guy that helped me get Trans Iowa going all those years ago now. (By the way, this isn't the first time that image has been used for a Trans Iowa header!) The image is from a deal that Jeff used to do back in 2006 called "Friday Night Lights", which was a weekly gravel grinder in the evenings which always ended in darkness.

We also want to announce that Oakley has committed to helping us out with Trans Iowa next year. They have been on-board with us for several of the past Trans Iowa events and we're proud to have them helping out.

Just to let you T.I. freaks know- registration will happen in early November, so stay tuned for the details on that to be announced sometime in October.

Via Shed Fire
On One Floater 4.0" Fat Bike Tire:

Not that there is anything at all wrong with Surly or 45NRTH tires, because there isn't, but competition is a good thing. That's why I am excited about these new On One "Floater" 4.0" tires for fat biking.

There was some banter earlier on last year about some new Vee Rubber fat bike tires coming out, but they were  huge, (pardon the pun), disappointments due to their questionable tread design and outrageous weight. Hopefully these On One Floater tires can pick up the mantle of being a true option to the other two brands, (which are really one other brand, since they both are Quality Bicycle Product brands.)

Surly seems bent on going for the bigger-than-big fat bike tires, which satisfies the craving many fat bikers have to be outrageous for the sake of being outrageous. I, on the other hand, like these 4.0" sized tires which I think will make better all-around treads for more than just snow and sand.

On One has been having their tires, (for the short time they have had tires), made to a high standard. I have some 29"er On One Smorgasbord tires which have been really good, and I expect these will be similar. (Or at least I hope they would be.) I'll likely pair this up with a Larry up front, or perhaps a Nate 3.8"er. I imagine two Floaters would work well too, but we'll have to see what they end up costing before I get too crazy.

Another reason to like tires like these? Well, with a winter forecast calling for above average temperatures and below average precipitation, why go for 100mm rims and 4.7" tires? You'll likely need less than that, and these could stay on your bike all year long. Just a thought to ponder.

A book by Elle, Lucy, and Laura
Hop In The Saddle:

Way back in T.I.V1 I met Joe Partridge, a single speeder, and one of the first 9 to ever finish a Trans Iowa. Well, last year Joe came back, and brought along the lovely Elle Thalheimer with him as his support person. I got to chatting with Elle at the finish line, and despite my almost 40 hours of sleep deprivation and intake of Templeton Rye, I remember her as being a bright, witty, and talented women who had just published a book about touring Oregon I hear that isn't all she's been up to of late either.

Apparently their is a new project she is involved in along with two other women out there in "Portlandia". I got wind of this through Joe, once again, who sent me the following bit as part of a message...

"You are getting this email because I think you are someone that likes bikes and beer and would like to see a project like this come to fruition."

"Oh crap! He's on to me", I say to myself. Of course, I do really like bikes and beer. So I read through the entire dealio. Seems that something is going on with Kickstarter to raise some funding for the publishing and what not. So, if a cycle tour of Portland's finest beer brewing establishments sounds intriguing to you, check out the link here

Now if I ever get to the mythical land of Portlandia I will be in big trouble. Beer and bicycles. Sounds like a good time to me....

3GR: Yep- it'll be a happenin' again at the same time, same place as always- Gateway Park parking lot at 8:30am.  There is a running event going on in Cedar Falls also, so if the parking lot is crazy, I'll be in front of Cup Of Joe's instead. 

That's all folks! Have a great weekend and ride yer bicycles! 

No comments: