Wednesday, February 06, 2013

What Is Your "Wheel Type?"

Carbon Bling?
I work at a bicycle shop that also deals in cross country ski sales and service. We also do a modicum of service on downhill stuff. When you do that, the tech/ski guy has to be "certified" and he needs to know your "ski type". In other words, it is like setting the tension of your clipless pedals according to your skill level as a cyclist, only....cyclists don't do that sort of thing normally.

Maybe we should....

I was ruminating on all of this as I built up a wheel the other day.While I am not what you would call a "wheel building expert", or some "Zen-wheel building guru", I have built some really nice wheels for customers that have lasted a long time.  Nuff said....

But the point here is that I see a lot of commentary about how "such-and-such" wheel really is "bad" and the rims ding easily, the hubs explode, or whatever. You always hear complaints about the wheels, but you almost never hear about the "rider type". You know what I mean? How does this person actually use the wheel? A bad wheel to rider type match is going to end up like a celebrity wedding. Broken. It may look pretty at the beginning- all shiny, light, and high engagement, but eventually the dings come, and the spokes break, and everything goes to hell in a hand basket leaving you with an expensive pile of twisted metal.

It didn't used to be this way. At one time there were no "pre-built" wheel sets that you could un-box and within minutes be riding. No- it was a longer process in which you went to the local bike shop, asked about a wheel build, and were then introduced to some grizzled old veteran who asked you several odd questions. Then you were told to "...come back next Thursday." Then you got a set of wheels that looked like anyone elses, but in reality were wheels with hand selected components for the job, your weight, and your riding style. If this all sounds mystic and weird to you, just think of the scene in "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" where Harry gets his wand. Yeah.......something like that anyway.

One size fits all, or maybe two sizes...
Well, you usually are in too big of a hurry for any of that sort of crap these days, right? So you buy wheel sets that are......well, if you stop to think, one size fits all. Maybe there is a "Clydesdale" option, but typically in most cases there are weight restrictions......that most folks ignore. (That is, if there are any openly publicized restrictions at all.)

There is no matching rider type and skill level to the component. Is it really any wonder then that I read and hear about so many issues regarding wheel damage? I don't think so.

However; if we were to suddenly go about doing the "rider type" thing with bicycle wheels, there would be a lot of "disgruntled" cyclists and a lot of unhappy marketing departments. See, many riders should be on tougher, heavier equipment for their style and type of riding, not the latest lightweight tubeless ready rim from wherever. A lot of companies would not sell as many wheel sets either. Not unless they changed the way they marketed their wares. (Or not unless a lot of riders refined their riding styles.)

My wife came home the other day and told me about some guy driving a Cadillac Escalade with those big 22" wheels and low profile, wide tires in the latest 5" snow we just had. Apparently they slid into some curbing and knocked the bead off the wheel's rim. They kept on driving though.....

Don't laugh: lots of cyclists are doing similar dumb things with their wheels too.....

8 comments:

Irishtsunami said...

Couldn't agree more. I had a wheel built in VA and annihilated it. I went back and the owner couldn't believe that the person who built it for me did so. It was what I asked for and so from the customer is always right standpoint she did her job.

He built me a new one and only charged for parts and apologized stating that she should have recommended something else. He didn't have to but they provided great service.

I always describe my riding style as "I ride like a tank. What I lack in ability I make up with brute strength." No one sells me an ultra light wheel.

Max said...

I agree. Even though I'm a fairly lightweight/smooth rider, I ride wheels that can take a beating because I don't shy away from jumping around and having fun. I run stout, 32h wheels even on my CX bike.

When it comes to factory built wheels, I'm convinced that many of them come over-tensioned which leads to broken spokes. I know from experience. I've re-tensioned some of these wheels and not had any problems afterward. Running wide tires also seems to help my wheels last longer, as they help absorb impact. Good post!

JR. Z. said...

Amen!

Andy Tetmeyer said...

Amen, can i get a witness?
I do happen to make and sell wheels, and I completely agree. The wheels we might be characterized as "one size fits most" and we do a couple of builds. As a manufacturer, we are not able to ask odd questions and have the customer come back next week. That said - tailored wheel building is great, and should not die.

Guitar Ted said...

Thanks for the comments folks. I apologize for taking so long to approve some of these. I've been down with an illness today.

Irishtsunami said...

I have been interested in learning how to build wheels for years. I don't believe it will save me money but I think it is something I would enjoy.

The problem is finding someone to teach me. Most bikes shop people I have asked are reluctant or don't have anyone that builds wheels. I routinely hear "I build a set every couple of years." This leads me to believe that some of the reluctance is due to being out of practice.

Heck, I have even offered to pay and sit even if they have to help customers, I have time.

If it is a dying "art" it doesn't seem that anyone cares to pull out the defibrillator and restart the heart.

Sorry for the rant but where does a person learn how to do this?

Guitar Ted said...

@Irishtsunami: There are a few things one can do to get practiced up for building a wheel. My first shop job was where I learned from the owner. But if you can not find a tutor to apprentice under, you can get this: http://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Wheel-3rd-Jobst-Brandt/dp/0960723668

Now there are a lot of wheel building zealots that will argue esoterica and minutiae on wheels and say Jobst isn't right, but that book will teach you a lot of good stuff that is pretty practical.

If you need any other advice or tips, let me know.

Steve Fuller said...

I used Sheldon Brown's website and that Jobst Brandt book to build my first wheel. I opted to do a front wheel so I didn't have to deal with dish (quite as much).

I let my local LBS wheel pro check it for me when I was done, and I'm happy to say that while the spoke tension was low, it was pretty even, and just required a bit of touch up and dishing, which he helped me with.

The key for me was to get in a place where I wouldn't get distracted. I have an almost Type-A tendency when it comes to things like this, so that worked in my favor as well.