Thursday, May 09, 2013

Latest Edition

The BMC as it sits now...
Okay, I thought it might be a good time to update my set up on the Black Mountain Cycles Cross frame. This has been the way I've been riding it for most of this year, (when I could ride it), so far.

Going back to last Fall, I stuck the HED Ardennes+ wheels on this rig and those have been swapped back and forth with the Velocity A-23 silver wheel set to test different tires. I've used Almanzo Open 30's, Panaracer Pasela 37's, and now I have a set of new Challenge Strada Bianca 30's on there. I'll get to the tires later, but now I want to say that the Ardennes+ wheels have two things going for them that are a "big" deal, in my opinion. First- they are wider rims. This gives tires like the skinny Almanzo Open 30 a much better profile, a better ride quality, and a bit better contact patch. Of course, it will do similar things for wider tires, but it is a must for tires like the Almanzo, in my opinion, to be run on a wider rim like the Ardennes+. Secondly, the aero factor is there. I am still uncertain what is going on in a head wind, but there is something there.  I will say that in a quartering tail wind to a straight on tail wind you get a dramatic effect. It feels like someone is pushing the bike along at times. I am still surprised when it happens. Definitely these things make these wheels better than the A-23's, but the Ardennes+ is heavy! The A-23's are certainly no slouch either, and they are lighter. Anywho....

The fenders are about to be jettisoned for the season. We've pretty much come out of slop season now, so no need to have them on. Besides, I see that they are starting to fail at a few places. I doubt Planet Bike had lots of gravel and dirt riding in mind for these commuter fenders when they were designed, so I am okay with that find today. If fenders go back on again, (and likely they will for next Fall late and then stay on through Spring of '14), they will be something fancy, like the Velo Orange fenders.

The El Cofrecito bag has stayed on, and on, and on.... I have a hard time with the thought of riding without it now. In fact, I jettisoned the seat bag and stuffed a smaller repair kit in the El Cofrecito instead. Plus, I can jam a windbreaker, or rain jacket in there, just in case. If I go back to a Tangle Bag, it will likely come off again, but that hasn't happened....

So, that's about it, really. The BMC is still doing great. Needs a new bottom bracket soon, but otherwise, I am good to go for a season of 3GR rides and more.....

4 comments:

Steve Fuller said...

I've installed one of the sets of the VO metal fenders on my LHT when I owned it. Great quality and they attached solidly. I used some small leather washers to help keep things quiet from vibrations. Although the black fenders kind of disappear now, I think the silver VO fenders will tie in nicely with the rest of the silver on the OSBB.

Speaking of the Hed wheels, who won those, and the other prizing at TI?

blackmountaincycles said...

Glad you are still enjoying the ride of the bike!
Ride on,
Mike

james said...

GT,
Simple tech question for you. When you change out wheels for testing on the Orange Crush, specifically wheels with wider or narrower rims, do you simply open up (or close) the brakes for rim to pad adjustment using the barrel adjuster or do you do a full brake adjustment?

Guitar Ted said...

@Steve Fuller: Obviously you saw who won the raffle stuff, but as for the rest: Rich Wince won one of the watches, Monika Sattler got theother, A pair of Oakley's to Mark Johnson as the SS winner, a pair of Oakley's to Charles Showalter for "persevering under poor circumstances", and for "Showing Friendship Under Duress":(ask me sometime), and the wheels went to Jim McGuire as the last person thru CP#2 on time.

@james: Everything is close enough that I don't have to make adjustments between the A-23's and the HEDs, but it took some fiddling to get it that way. ;>)

@Mike: Love the bike! Still considering another for SS duty.