Tuesday, July 07, 2015

GTDRI: Starting Somewhere

Hiking- Urban style
Post Odin's Revenge saw me come down with a nasty cold, so I have been on the down low since then, and only doing commutes by bike when it isn't doing the monsoon thing here. Drinking lots of fluids, (mostly water), and trying to get some sleep, I hope to be out of the woods soon.

That said, I cannot just sit around too much. Sunday I finally had enough of being idle and took my son out for a brisk, two mile walk around the neighborhood. It was quite humid, so we brought water and we tried to keep a good pace the entire time.

I'm a big fan of walking, actually. I've always had a penchant for longer walks and I suppose had I not been into bicycles, walking longer distances would have been my main gig. In fact, back in the 80's before I bought my first mountain bike, I used to walk along the old railroad bed, (now a bicycle path), to Hudson and back, (about 14-15 miles round trip), about every other weekend. One of my favorite mountain biking trails locally, the Green Belt, was walked its entire length long before I ever bicycled it.

Anyway, it is a good activity, and I figured I needed a quick hit for some physical activity and a good short two miler was not going to do me any harm, what with this cold and all. Hopefully, this cold will abate later in the week and I'll be back to riding two wheels on longer routes soon. I need some hot weather hill training before the GTDRI comes!

No comments: