Friday, December 30, 2016

Bikes Of 2016: Surly 1X1

Visiting a friend on December 22nd 2016
The time of year has come that I will be reviewing the bikes I used the most throughout 2016 and why. The ups, downs, changes, and more will be discussed.

The Surly 1X1 has been written up a bunch here on the blog over the past two years, so I won;t rehash all of that. I will say that this bike has become what I had envisioned back in 2014 when I received it as a frame a fork from its previous "keeper". That is, a "bar bike", townie, errand running, commuter rig.

I wanted a bike not easy to steal, so it has bolt on hubs and it is a single speed, which makes it less attractive to youngsters who don't know better. I installed fenders so I could ride it in crappy weather. I have fat tires set up tubeless that are easily maintained and ride very well.

It has served me in all my needs that I had envisioned for it very well. I couldn't be happier. For what it is, the 1X1 is really about as good as it gets. I could put a rear rack on it, and that might expand the capabilities a tad, but then again, I have a Big Dummy for carrying stuff, so this one gets the "light duty" jobs I can handle with a messenger bag or rucksack.

I really should get rid of the quick release seat collar and install a bolt on one, which I probably have lurking around here somewhere, but I haven't gotten around to that just yet. I also probably should look at replacing the drive train bits. I want to slap on a white industries free wheel, a new chain, and a Surly stainless steel ring. I maybe should do new brakes on this thing too. I have better ones that I can actually put "real" brake pads on.

But other than that, I have been well served once again by this bike during most of 2016, and while you don't see a lot of it here on the blog, I ride this bike a lot throughout the year.

2 comments:

James Elbaum said...

Was this taken @ SS Brewery? I just spend some time in Cedar Falls recently staying at the BlackHawk...Nice ride by the way.

Guitar Ted said...

@James Elbaum: Yes it was taken at Single Speed Brewery. I met an out of town friend their for drinks that evening.