Thursday, August 16, 2018

Paperback Writer

One of those Facebook  memories things came up on my social media the other day. It was from six years ago, and it reminded me of how blessed and fortunate I am. It was concerning the issue of "Dirt Rag" which had a bit about my take on the history of the 29"er mountain bike.

I've actually been in a couple of issues of that mag, and I also have had an article or two printed elsewhere. Yes......I got paid. That makes me a professional, I guess. By no means do I make a living off my writing, so don't get any ideas!

I just say that because in my wildest dreams in my youth, I never would have said I would become a published author. Nope. Not even on my radar, and furthermore, I have absolutely zero education to back up any meager literary talents I may possess. Yeah.....I think the last English class I had was my freshman year in High School. (Which was actually my last year at Middle School, but we were weird in Charles City!) Which brings up an interesting point.

I was supposed to have another full year of English classes to graduate, but an unfortunate health issue relegated my scheduled teacher for my sophomore year to taking a year's leave of absence. With two, really green substitute teachers, my class ran riot. We basically had the year off from English with the entire class getting passing grades. This is how kids "fall through the cracks", as they used to say, and graduate with very little to no education in certain areas. At least back then in the Mid-West. I had a similar experience with math where I didn't learn how to divide, do fractions, or know anything about algebra, despite having several years of math in middle and secondary school. I ended up having to take a remedial math class in my freshman year of college to learn that stuff!

Anyway.......I digress. English was not my specialty. So how did this happen? Well........ They say I am pretty good at telling a story, and I really like telling stories, so I guess I overcame my shortcomings to become good enough that Josh Patterson, then editor of "Dirt Rag", asked if I would be a contributor not once, but twice to the publication. I am blessed and fortunate to have had this opportunity, and others, granted to me. I don't take that lightly, despite that it happened six years ago.

And let's not forget about you. If you are reading this, I have you to thank as well. I truly appreciate all of you that stop by here to read my posts.

No comments: