Tuesday, August 07, 2018

The 24hrs of Cumming Report: Part 2

Team Pink bikes, ready to engage!
Just before Sam headed out for his first leg of the 24hrs of Cumming, I realized I had forgotten my lights! This was bad! I certainly would be needing them. I desperately dug through all my stuff, and frustratingly found all the accessories for the light: the charging cord, the extra battery, but no light! 

I had my tail light, as I had that affixed to the bike before I left for the event. I also had a bike light I had intended to use as a flashlight in the upper room where we were staying. Hmm......

Mechanic problem solving mind engaged! I decided that I should try to see if I had a USB to charge up this light, and I did. Good! While the light was being fully charged, I thought about how I could affix the light to my bicycle. After I threw out a few ideas, I decided to try taping it to my helmet with gaffers tape I had brought along. I had a pretty solid solution in mind, but I wasn't going to tape it on until I needed it, since this light is kind of clunky, and I didn't want it bobbing my head around all day long. So I wrapped a good length of gaffers tape around my mini pump's barrel. Then, while foraging for other stuff in my bag I came across my original plan for the helmet light, and older Lezyne light which I had the helmet mount for. I decided to try it on my stem, which seemed like it might work. Okay! Good! I had a serviceable light set up.

Sam and the group of 400K entrants- some solo, some team- upon the start of the event.
I then took a break from that to see what was going on in the start area. I ran across N.Y.Roll who was pulling out due to a knee issue. I mentioned my light fiasco and he offered up his Lezyne light to use. Boom! Now I could put the helmet light I had on the helmet and be good to go. Thanks N.Y. Roll!!! He also downloaded his peanut butter sandwiches to me so I had a bit something different to eat during the event.

Now I was all set to go, but I had to wait. I spent quite a while in the upper room, just going over everything in my mind, trying to relax, and trying to stay hydrated and topped off on electrolytes. I had no clear idea when Sam might come in, but he had been riding a LOT more than I had been, so I was assuming he would be faster than I would be.

Suddenly there was a commotion outside and I heard that a team rider had come in. A little over three hours! Wow! Maybe Sam would be in sooner than I thought even! I decided I'd better be getting kitted up and set to go at any minute. I used my RidingGravel.com kit and since it was kind of overcast, I skipped the arm covers. Okay! Ready!

Steve Cannon, (sitting in the chair with black hat) the event director of the 24hrs of Cumming
I sat near the scoring and timing tent and waited. Suddenly, a group of about four to five riders approached. Event director, Steve Cannon, jumped up to help them get across the road safely, as traffic is pretty high right there on the paved county road we were located by. Steve turned to me and said, "Hey! I think you might know this guy!" It was Sam! He looked me straight in the eye with a smile, but didn't say anything as I tagged him and headed across the street. He looked really dusty! So dirty and dusty I almost did not recognize him! But we shared no words in that hurried exchange where I just took off. I guess I was pretty antsy to get going. Maybe had I spoken with Sam a few minutes we would have had a different experience, but oh well!

Next: Part 3


No comments: