Tuesday, September 04, 2018

Monsoon Season

Rain, rain....go away!
Labor Day weekend is generally not a bad weekend here weather-wise. However; this one we just lived through was.......very wet!

I'm not sure I've ever seen it so bad on Labor Day weekend. Ever. In my life..... This typically is more like, say, Memorial Day Weekend, when it rains and ruins the party. Or maybe more like Halloweeen, when the kids have to wear rain jackets or parkas because the weather sucks. I can't count the number of scary parkas I've seen on Halloween. Little blighters!

So, when it is "too wet to plow", as they say in farmer-speak around these parts, you do something else. Something maybe you've been putting off for.......you know, a rainy day! In my case that generally includes bicycle maintenance to the fleet here. So, I did do some of that. But I also did a lot of work on the Riding Gravel Events calendar this past weekend. That is super-tedious work. I'm not a big fan of it, but I was the one that started a gravel events calendar in 2008 or so and I haven't given up yet. With nearly 500 events to keep tabs on all over the world, it gets pretty hard to ride herd over it all. I remember when I had less than 30 events and I thought THAT was amazing!

Now there are a few others keeping tabs on gravel events. I know some one or two have copied my work, and continue to do so. It does bother me a bit, but in these days of "copy and paste", I am not at all surprised by it. Really, there isn't anything I can do about it either.

Then sometimes when you are not busy, you start thinking about things too much and.......maybe.....you might get yourself into a bit of trouble you weren't planning on. In my case that entails something happening in a bit less than two months. I also have to start dialing up a few things before "that" happens.

More soon.......

No comments: