Wednesday, December 05, 2018

Single Track Leftovers

The Breezer RADAR Expert with 29"er tires
Last week I got a couple of decent.......well, kind of decent, single track rides in locally. It was as good as it was going to get for the remainder of 2018. I was willing to put up with less than ideal conditions since, well, it was either take that or nothing for the entirety of Fall. Pretty much anyway.

I had slapped on some Michelin Wildgripper 29"er tires on the RADAR Expert and that needed to get tested, so that was another reason to get out there. Well, that and the forecast last week was for another possibility of snow. We dodged it this time, but that wasn't always going to be the case. I was staring December straight in the face. It was only going to be a matter of time before a fat bike was going to be the only bike that would make sense out there.

So I made a foray into a bit of single track I knew wasn't blocked by downed limbs and wasn't flooded. It went well, actually, except for one bit I probably should have known better about, but went through anyway. That gooped up the tires real good and then, of course, that gathered to itself leaves and sand and more debris. I was tossing up chunks of stuff like an old fashioned manure spreader the rest of the way home.

It was fun, but it wasn't. There were a lot of places where the flood debris had gathered and was just cleared off enough to make it rideable. There were a lot of greasy spots, so speeds had to be kept in check. Basically, it wasn't anything ideal. But it was single track. I got a ride in during Fall, well........kind of. I know the calendar says it is still Fall, but the weather says "Winter" and that's really what is happening now.

Hmm......looks like it's gonna be cold and dry-ish for a while yet into December. Maybe I can sneak another ride or two in. Time will tell.

No comments: