Monday, June 24, 2019

Solstice 100 Report: Part 1

No turning back this time. I didn't forget anything!
The third year for the Solstice 100 was this past weekend and I made it there. No forgetting of shoes, or anything of that sort this time. (In fact, I got something recently that was a huge help in that area. Stay tuned...) At any rate, the plan was executed and it began with leaving work Friday at noon to make the 300 mile drive to Lincoln, Nebraska.

Things started out on the moist side as it was raining lightly when I left town. However, within about 50 miles in it stopped and the rest of the way I had a mahoosive tailwind and partly cloudy skies. Since I didn't get underway until 1:00pm, I had to hoof it straight through to make sure I arrived at the Cycleworks shop on "O" and 27th Street in Lincoln in time to pick up my race packet and get checked in. No thanks to the gridlock in Omaha. That was stop and go traffic all through that city. But I made it with time to spare, and MG, who I was to be staying with, was already there.

Later on we hooked up with the race promoters and a few of the volunteers and went out to a local Mexican restaurant for something to eat. It was good that I did, because I hadn't eaten since breakfast! (No stops on the way out, so.....) Then MG and I caught up on things until way too late and I finally got a few winks on his basement couch until the cats his family has started in on their pre-morning hi jinx. Well, it was okay, since we had to get up at 5:30am anyway.

There was a chance for a morning shower in the forecast, and so as MG was starting the drive to Malcom, Nebraska, I mentioned that it sure looked like we were going to get grazed by a thunderstorm complex moving in from the Southwest. MG peeled back to the house and we grabbed rain jackets, then we hightailed it outta town to Malcom.

MG and others were chatting with eventual Solstice 100 winner, Ashton Lambie (Bent over here) at the start.


Rain at the start line forced people to take shelter wherever they could find it. This is the Malcom General Store porch.
We arrived and started getting ready to go. It hadn't started raining yet, but the skies were threatening to unleash the rain at any minute. We rolled up on Ashton Lambie, who made a stir when he won a track racing World Championship recently, and we all chatted him up a bit as he slipped into his skinsuit. He, of course, went on to win handily later in the 100. But before that happened, it started into raining, and the event director, Joe Billesbach, announced that the event would start a half an hour later, to allow any potential lightning to clear the area. This ended up being extended for another half an hour, so MG and I went back to his vehicle and chilled out for a spell.

Waiting out the rain and lightening in MG's rig. 
Eventually, as 8:00am rolled around, the radar was clearing and we headed over to the starting area to get the event rolling. Kevin Fox gave a blessing over the racers, and then at 8:00am, Joe rolled out in front in some vehicle or another and we were off! I haven't been in an event since the beginning of April, so I was excited and ready for some riding. Well......in spirit. I knew going in I had a woefully low amount of miles for the year so far due to weather, circumstances, and whatnot. So, the goal was to finish, and short of that, just to have a good time. Pretty lofty goals for someone going into a very hilly century whose longest ride up to that point maybe was 40 miles. But, whatever. Ya gotta start somewhere.

Headed out of Malcom on rain soaked pavement.
It was cool, wet, and humid, but the rain soaked roads were firm and the skies looked hopeful. 
Well, I was underway. I held to a pace that was within what I considered to be fairly easy, but above a 10mph average, and just let everything else play out around me. I tried to stay calm, and not chase down riders passing me, or ones I was coming up on. There were hills. One after another, and Nebraska hills are longer and just as steep as the nasty steeps we have in Iowa. That meant getting into a rhythm when climbing and blasting out some high speed descents. I decided to pedal as much as possible during the opening miles, staying within "the plan", which worked well. I actually passed a lot of riders to start out with.

The hills are longer, but no less steep than where I am from.
The first checkpoint was about 24 miles in, and I was cruising along with no issues. I hadn't eaten any breakfast, and honestly, I typically ride better when I don't eat in the morning. I tried nibbling on some things I had brought along, which was okay, and I was keeping tabs on water, figuring about a bottle an hour, which was working well. I used Elete hydration additive, which keeps me from cramping well. So far, so good. I didn't even get the nasty "sleepies' which I have gotten in the past which makes me want to just nod off while riding. Dangerous! I had that happen last year at Gravel Worlds.

Anyway, I shifted early and often, spun as much as I could, and was doing nicely as I approached Garland, Nebraska and the first checkpoint of the day. The Black Mountain Cycles MCD worked perfectly, and it was super comfortable. The roads were firm and smooth anyway, and rolling along the first portion of the day couldn't have been better.

Check In Tomorrow For Part 2

2 comments:

Ben said...

Good to see you there, and yes...my first time riding gravel in Nebraska, and those are some solid midwest hills over in that area northwest of Lincoln!

MG said...

That was an awfully fun weekend… Thanks Brother!