Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Bikes Of 2019: Raleigh Tamland Two

That old stand-by- The Raleigh Tamland 2
Raleigh Tamland 2: Okay, the last day of 2019 and so we have to roll out a classic of the blog here- The Raleigh Tamland 2.

You readers have seen this bike for years, and really, if I had to pick a "Bike Of The Decade", the Raleigh Tamland 2 from the first run of this bike would be it. To recap, let's briefly run over the history one more time, for old time's sake. (It is New Year's Eve, after all!)

So, I was at the now defunct shop where I used to work. It was a busy day and a phone call comes in for me. It was Raleigh, and they had set up a conference call with their R&D, engineers, and marketing folk. They asked me to tell them what I would do if I had free reign to design a gravel bike. Their only caveat was that "it has to be sell-able".

Keeping in mind, this was 2012. There were no gravel bikes. (Well, there was the Warbird, but it had just come out, and I wasn't impressed, much to the chagrin of certain Salsa Cycles folks.) Disc brakes weren't a slam dunk.....yet. Carbon fiber was coming, but it would be too expensive and too far outside of what the gravel riders then wanted. So, it was a steel frame then, steel fork, (because no one was making a very smooth feeling carbon fork for gravel in 2012), and yes- disc brakes. The Raleigh folks were like, "Are you sure?", and I told them to just wait- it was coming.

I asked for rack and fender mounts, a lower bottom bracket, a slacker head tube angle, a longer offset fork, room for big 700c tires (43mm w/fenders) and a braze on chain hanger. Why not? It was a fantasy at that time, and I had no idea if any of it would ever come true. Fast forward to 2013 Interbike. I was aware that Raleigh had come out with the Tamland series. I walked into the show and saw the Tamland as then head of Raleigh's marketing, Brian Fournes told me that Raleigh utilized every one of my suggestions! The geometry, the disc brakes, even the chain hangar! 

The current state of the Tamland 2
 I was floored, slightly embarrassed, and very worried that the bike would be a flop. It was definitely not a flop. The 2014 Tamland sold out, Raleigh subsequently ran the same color scheme for 2015, and the model is still being produced to this day, although Raleigh is not the company it once was.

If I screwed up here it was that I did not have the foresight to spec through axles. Flat mount brakes weren't even on anyone's radar yet in 2012, but through axles were, although we were a couple of years away from seeing that on gravel bikes. But that said, I am proud that the Tamland came out the way it did and that it is one of the modern day classics of gravel bikes. As I've said many times, I'll likely never have this much influence over a design of a bicycle again- unless I weld it up! 

The years have passed and I have had several adventures on this bike. Six seasons of riding have left their scars and six years of parts swaps have left little of the original Tamland 2 but the frame, crank set, and the rear derailleur. I keep threatening to park this thing and not ride it anymore, but it is just too good.

Many people have asked me if Raleigh gave me a Tamland 2, or if they compensated me in any way for the consultation. They did not do anything for me. I bought my Tamland 2 from Europa Cycle & Ski, (now out of business) and paid employee discount for it. (Perk of working at the shop at the time) So, I have no ties to it that way. All I have is the knowledge that I have had an influence on the design.

The future for this bike? Well, things will change on it, more than likely. The drive train needs updating, that's one thing that will likely happen. I still have the original fork for it, but this Fyxation one is actually a better fork, in my opinion. I may get it re-powder coated. Who knows! I'm sure I'll be putting more miles on it in the future though.

With this post I bring to a close my "Bikes of 2019" series. Happy New Year!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I too bought the Tamland 2 in 2015! Your blog really sealed the deal for me on this compared to the competitors at the time and I am happy with the purchase. I have some carbon wheels on the way for the bike but I also am itching to swap out the fork as well, it seems so heavy! I ride it hard on some tight, twisty gravel trails that include 20+% grades and the weight and slack geo make it a challenge.

What sort of fork specs did you go with and did you change the trail on it? I am pondering a fork to make the steering faster for the technical trails I use it on.

Guitar Ted said...

@Unknown - Thanks for the comments! I am glad you ended up liking the Tamland!

Well, I have a Fyxation Sparta All Road Carbon 9mm QR fork on there now. That came about via a review opportunity that I had with them. After the review was done, they allowed me to keep the fork.

It has a 45mm off set vs the 50mm offset of the stock CroMo fork. That will "stabilize" (slow down, make more sluggish than stock - depends on your viewpoint)the handling because a shorter offset is going to increase fork trail which is the number that helps define how a bike handles.

I felt like it didn't hurt the Tamland overall, but it did lighten up the bike a LOT! You are correct to think that the stock fork is heavy. It is a tank, to be honest. Maybe at some point I will have a custom Walt Works form made that has the 50mm offset and triple boss mounts in steel that won't be such a boat anchor.

Anyway, I hope that helps! here is a courtesy link for the Fyxation fork: https://www.fyxation.com/collections/forks/products/sparta-qr-all-road-carbon-fork

Unknown said...

You rock Guitar Ted! Appreciate your response and helpfulness always. Fork shopping can be overwhelming with all the specs and choices (or lack of choices!)