Saturday, December 21, 2019

Minus Ten Review 2009-51

One of the prettiest bikes I think I've had. A 2009 Soul Cycles Dillenger.
Ten years ago on this blog I introduced a stand alone site for "Gravel Grinder News". The whole "GGN" thing was something I had been doing right here since, oh.... about 2008 or so. It was kind of like a search term/tag at first, then I started naming posts "Gravel Grinder News" whenever the content was there and I could publish a post on this blog with that content.

The whole concept for the name came from way back in the 1980's when I worked as a jeweler. The shop I was employed at made, repaired, and designed jewelry. There were four stores, at one point, that were in the chain. Where I worked was the headquarters, so we would send out communiques as faxes to the stores to keep them up to date on repairs in progress, designs in progress, and the like. Instead of just sending out some bland newsletter, I decided to have a theme. I drew up a header which went with every fax and those were titled "Mother Faxer News". So, obviously, "GGN" was an evolution of that.

Anyway.....

"GGN" started out on a blog format I had intended for the Trans Iowa History site. I ended up migrating that over to a site based on Wordpress which was going to become "Guitar Ted Productions.com" at one point. But that never happened, although I still have that domain. It was a very messy affair, but I didn't want to start up and abandon blog sites if I could use what I had. ya know? At any rate.....

"GGN" ended up becoming a "dot-com" address after a while and existed until I folded it in with RidingGravel.com in late 2014. And that's a bit of back story on that whole idea. Now I still post "GGN" posts here when it is a bit outside of the beat of RidingGravel.com. So that's why you still see that here up to this day. I also do "GGN" posts on RidingGravel.com when I cover press releases and the like.

I know......it's complicated.

No comments: