Friday, February 28, 2020

Friday News And Views

Testing the Topeak D-Flash "muck deflectors" on the Noble Bikes GX-5
Playing In The Mud:

Earlier in the week I got a chance to "muck about", in the muck actually, with a set of front and rear Topeak D-Flash mudguards. (Link to down tube mounted version)

There are a lot of bikes that do not support fenders, and a lot more people that think fenders are not cool. They look dorky, or they are issues for muddy riding, or they are not aero, so they do not want them on their bicycles. I used to be counted amongst these folk.

Then Ben Witt, now of Whiskey Cycles, but at the time, the proprietor of Milltown Cycles, convinced me that fenders were worthy of consideration. I ended up agreeing with him, and after spending a lot of time with various different solutions, I have landed on Planet Bike Cascadia ALX metal fenders. I also use those PDW Mud Shovel fenders on my fat bikes. So, I am a fender fan, (also a Fender fan, but that's another story!)

So, getting back to these Topeak sheilds.....deflectors? They aren't really "fenders". Anyway, I've found that if you are going with a deflection type device in the rear, it had better be long. The angle at which water, mud, and debris comes off a rear tire while it is spinning means that a deflector type device has to overhang the rear wheel by at least a few inches, and four is better. Otherwise you are still going to get wet, dirty, and if that's the case, what is the point? The deflector won't keep your bike or your drive train clean, so it had better keep the rider clean!

If you take a look at my image here of the Noble Bikes GX5, you can see that rear deflector is about at the same vertical plane as the right side of the rear rotor. Ain't gonna cut it, and I can tell you that it doesn't. Tried and failed. The front, down tube mounted deflector? Brilliant. Well done. Fortunately, the D-Flash products are available separately.

Note: Topeak sent over the D-Flash devices for test and review to RidingGravel.com at no charge. I was not paid, nor bribed for this review/post.

Forecast temps for this weekend in Waterloo, Iowa
 Spring Springs- Populace Loses Their Minds:

We have had a few days in a row of chilly, 30 degree highs here, but this weekend it will nearly be 60°F on each day, and you know what that means? It means cars and motorcycles will be zooming around like people have lost their minds.

Not to mention the Winter detritus along the sides of roads and in corners, which, if you are riding on the streets and roads, will catch you out if you are not careful. Just a friendly reminder that the roads are a mess and warmer temperatures bring out "The Crazy" in Iowans when they first appear after a long Winter. I expect to hear a LOT of ambulance sirens over the weekend.

Don't let one of those sirens be for you! Watch out for "Spring Fever", and if it has been cold where you live and warmer days are about to strike, be aware!

Hope components from the UK are pretty good looking. Seem well made too.
Hope UK Introduces A New Crank Set. Guess What It Is Called: 

I like Hope UK components. I've used their hubs before, and I have installed their head sets and MTB cranks in other people's bikes. The design, execution of design, and presentation of the finished products is second to none, in my opinion.

Well, guess what? They have a (did you guess the name?) GRAVEL crank set out now. (groan) Yep! I know...... A regrettable name for such a fine component, but, it looks ace, and it comes in Hope's six standard anodized colors. One of which is.......purple. 

While they say this RX crank set is optimized for single ring set ups, you can get it to work as a double. Of course, that's what I would want. I can totally imagine this in purple with a 46T/36T set up on my Black Mountain Cycles MCD. Pink and purple!

Maybe that would be too much. Hmm...... Color? No way! I'm talking about the money! these are not cheap crank sets! For that money I could go a bit more subtle and use a White industries VBC and add a touch of purple with chain rings, or something. Dreaming..... May not ever become reality, but those components are cool.

The Warakin Ti from Otso Cycles
 It Could Be A Contender:

If you've read about my quest for a replacement for the aging Raleigh Tamland, you've seen me pass over several entrants into the gravel bike scene. Now there is a new one out there, and it is related to one I already talked about. Added to that, I've already ridden this frame's geometry, and I happen to like it just fine. The bike? the new titanium version of Otso Cycles Warakin.

The change they made for this frame makes it even sweeter than that stainless steel version I rode in 2017. The frame now can handle 700 X 50mm or 650 X 2.1" tires. Pretty impressive, and it still retains a road based drive train with a maximum double chain ring size of 50T. That's plenty. I'd only want a 46T/36T set up anyway.

But as with the stainless bike, price is a big barrier here. $2800.00 for the frame and fork. Ouch! That's outside of my price limitations now. Guess I'll just have to drool and be happy with a steel frame from someone at some point. That Twin Six Standard Rando v2 is looking mighty close to being the choice. (WARNING! Scary picture on link. Click at your own risk)

Update On T-Shirt Idea: A while back now I floated an idea for a t-shirt to celebrate the 15 year anniversary of this blog. (Miss it? See HERE) Well, I got some initial interest, then things fizzled. But y'all maybe just forgot? So, I'm pimping this here one more time to gauge interest. The plan is to give it a week and then next friday I will give my verdict on whether or not this is going to happen.

Stay tuned.....


Okay, that's a wrap for this week. Thanks for reading! Get out and ride!

8 comments:

graveldoc said...

Good morning, Mark. As a long time daily reader, I'd really like to order one of your 15th anniversary shirts when available.

Doug M. said...

Pink and purple all the way!

FarleyBob said...

I would buy a shirt also. You are my first read every morning! Thanks for all that you do!

Rydn9ers said...

I'd do a shirt... also, not to be that guy but.... PDW Mud Shovel, although they are located in the PNW.

Guitar Ted said...

@Rydn9ers - Thanks! Good catch. Corrected it.

KeithG said...

Bummer that the T6 still uses the PF30 BB.

Guitar Ted said...

@Keith G - I think T-6 stick to that because they want to allow for the possibility of going single speed. (Eccentric PF-30 BB)

It doesn't bother me, as I would immediately get the excellent wheels manufacturing screw together PF-30 compatible bottom bracket which I am currently using on my Noble Bikes GX5.

But yeah.... A traditional threaded BB wouldn't hurt and probably would boost sales of the frame set, I would think.

DT said...

I'd go for a T shirt