Saturday, May 16, 2020

Planning For The Gravel Bus

Plans are coming together....
Well, if you have been paying attention you know that I have a Twin Six Standard Rando v2 coming soon. I mentioned that I already have a lot of stuff for it. However; I don't have a couple major components necessary to make this thing into a rideable bike. One being the bottom bracket. The other is a head set.

I cannot hardly even work on a frame-up build until I have the head set in first. The fork and frame have to be together or I just cannot seem to assemble anything. So, a head set needs to be procured. I might have one. It would be a Cane Creek average one if I do. Gotta get down into the lab and dig around for that.

Now the bottom bracket, well, this Twin Six deal takes a Press Fit type, which......I know, I know.....nobody likes this style, but listen, get a thread together bottom bracket. Don't use the plastic cup deals. Anyway... I ended up getting something, quite by accident actually, that will work and give me options.

Options? Yes. This bottom bracket came to me because Andy, of Andy's Bike Shop, is also getting one of these bikes and is going single speed, or he was going to. That's another story. Moving on.... Well, Andy got this PF-30 eccentric bottom bracket for a SRAM crank. Now he's going in a different direction, so he doesn't need that bottom bracket, which got me to thinking. I'm using a SRAM Force 1 build on this thing, so I need a SRAM compatible insert. Why not use the eccentric? 

I can do single speed, or geared, and I can adjust my 'virtual bottom bracket height' by clocking the bottom bracket in a different position, say like at the six o'clock position if I want the 'lowest' possible drop. So, that should be interesting. With that figured out, all I have to do is get that head set rounded up.

Time to go scrounging.........

8 comments:

john said...

Nice looking project. Mark, a personal question, can you tell me when and where I bought a Bridgestone HT MTB - maybe even rigid? Did tom carry them and about what year could that have been? I can't remember anything.

Guitar Ted said...

@john - Hey, I hope all is well with you! As to your Bridgestone, that would have been something you had gotten before I worked at Tom's. They had not stocked any Bridgestones at the time they hired me in 1994. So, I'm thinking your bike would have been either a 1993 model or a '94 you bought when the came out in late '93 maybe?

Researching Google images for "Bridgestone mountain bike" I see a few examples of Bridgestone MB-2's which are from 1993. They are red and have that special rigid fork I remember yours having. I am willing to bet this is what you had.

Daniel said...

The frame is coming with a headset already. A Cane Creek one. I pre-ordered this frame as well. I think I'm going to put GRX 800 on it with some 650b wheels.

Skidmark said...

Is the T6 Middle Finger dropout system somehow unique?

Guitar Ted said...

@Daniel - The frame/fork are available separate from any components. A headset can be added for an extra fee. Furthermore, there are various other levels of kit one can opt for all the way up to a full bike build. But the base price does not include the head set, if what I am looking at on their site is correct.

@Skidmark - The way it appears to me here is that the inserts are replaceable, and perhaps there will be future options, like a no-hangar for pure single speed, or perhaps a IGH compatible insert. Whether or not it ever happens, those are possibilities. In fact, one could easily imagine QR drop outs for backward compatibility with older wheels.

I have no idea though. I'm just guessing as the T-6 site gives no further clues.

baric said...


Slightly off topic, despite having somewhat dated QR axles, 1"1/8 steerer tube and extra low bottom bracket and taking into account it's frame and geometry specs and possibly a longer Firestarter, Surly or what have you fork and a tweek in the gearing, do you think the Salsa Marrakesh might make a good single speed or geared gravel rig ?

Guitar Ted said...

@baric - Interesting question. On the surface of it, it might seem like an okay idea. The Alternator drops provide you with ease of single speed-ability, you've got tons of mounting options, and the geometry isn't bad. There is one aspect of this model that might prove to be an issue after the fact, depending upon how you set it up.

Obviously, the Marrakesh is a touring bike. subsequently, the tubing choices are made to withstand a load situation, not made for comfort without that extra weight onboard. So, if you were to build this up and would not be using it as a loaded touring bike, you might find a harsh, unforgiving ride.

One might mitigate that by choosing wide-ish rims and mounting bigger, soft riding tires and using lower pressures. Or you could utilize a suspension stem and seat post. It all depends on what you are after.

Of course, it also should be obvious that this bike will be heavier overall as well. So if you are not wanting a heavy bike, this wouldn't be the direction I would go in either.

But that said, I don't see why you couldn't be a single speeder on this frame/fork and have fun. Just know that this is a touring bike first, and go from there.

john said...

Mark - thanks for the effort and the info on the old Bridgestone - just what I wanted. Good memory on your part