Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Testing For The Single Speed Century: Part 2

New tires for the effort: Vittoria Terreno XC Race 2.1's.
Last time I was talking about the tires on the Pofahl Signature Custom I am going to use for the Single Speed Century, I mentioned that the ones that are on there now are not tubeless rated and I wanted to ride tubeless tires for this effort.

The reasons why are that- (1) Tubeless tires have lower rolling resistance than tubed tires. This is not at all important to anyone riding short distances or for short time periods. It is important for a multi-hour effort where saving some effort (watts) in lower rolling resistance can make doing something like a century ride on gravel a little less difficult. Also, (2) Tubeless tires self-heal smaller punctures, saving time and effort in repairing flat tires during strenuous efforts.

For me, the first thing is most important. I need every advantage in my corner I can afford to get. Tubeless tires are an easy add for me, so why not? The second point could be a big deal, but getting flat tires where I ride is rare. Not that it couldn't happen, but it is not common at all. (Now watch......I'll flat three times!)

The tires I chose were Vittoria Terreno XC Race tires because I have tried the Terreno Dry tires, which are very similar and they are stellar tires. The Graphene treatment does do something. Vittoria says it can give the tire more grip while retaining lower rolling resistance. This is true to a point with this tread pattern. I've felt that in action. Vittoria also claims this tire resists punctures better due to the Graphene. I cannot personally speak to that. However; if that pans out, all the better. The Terreno XC's also have a 120TPI casing, which also should make the tires more resistant to puncturing, and add some suppleness to the ride.

The Pofahl Signature Custom for reference. Tubed Ardents are shown here.
The Terreno XC's also have a tan side wall, which doesn't do a darn thing but look cool. I happen to like the look, so that's a plus for me. Some would say that a tan side wall does give you a more supple casing. Generally speaking? That might be true, but it does not guarantee a smooth ride in every instance.

I'll say this- these don't seem like 2.1" tires to me. Maybe 50 mm? Maybe.... We will see. They weigh in at 612/620 grams, so that's pretty good, I think. They will be big enough and light enough, so I am not fretting about that bit. I don't need them to be huge, really. This bike needs a bigger tire though with those 180mm Race Face cranks.

The rims are Bontrager Duster rims, which by today's standards are gravel rims. Back in the day these were Bontrager's premier trail bike rims. My how times have changed! I'm hoping the Vittoria tubeless beads get along with the old Bontrager plastic rim strips though. If they do, tubeless set up should be a breeze.

I think once this bit is done I'll try a bit longer stem and then if that gets sorted I'll be pretty much ready to roll. Next I will choose a date and then set sail for the hundy. Stay tuned for more on this coming soon.....

2 comments:

Tomcat said...

Perhaps this is off-topic but how do you like the bottle mounting solution to the seatpost? It looks like a pretty novel idea to mount additional bottles on the bike, and have thought about trialing that at some point.

Guitar Ted said...

@Tomcat - The seat post mounted water bottle idea is one I have used in a couple versions on several bikes I have. It works well. I can rely on the bottle to stay put and I can grab it while riding. Rear tire slop could be an issue, so wet weather riding makes this a not so good of an idea unless you can run a fender under it. I recommend trying it. This mount is a Minoura branded one that you are seeing here.