Friday, June 05, 2020

Friday News And Views

Welp! There goes the last event on my 2020 calendar!
Gravel Worlds Cancelled For 2020:

While it may seem like the pandemic is over for many people, the reality is still out there- There is no defense mechanism against this virus other than social distancing. In light of that, it seemed irresponsible for us here to hold an event like the C.O.G.100, or bigger events like the Dirty Kanza 200. So, following in those footsteps of other event promoters, Race Directors, and organizations, Gravel Worlds decided to cancel their event for 2020.

I'm not at all surprised. 

Here is the link to their official announcement.

While smaller events maybe can circumnavigate the current circumstances by essentially becoming time trials, or hosting "virtual events", ala DK200, et al, the current reality is that it is foolish to assume anyone can have large gatherings of people without repercussions. At least for the foreseeable future, and that may be measured in years. We don't know at this point. I certainly hope that is not the case, but I am not going to feel comfortable in a large (over 50 people, maybe even not that many) group until this virus thing is known to have run its course. Or we find a vaccine. Or.....who knows. 

I think we just don't know yet what the future holds for events.

I should also note that Gravel Worlds has offered refunds in full (minus Bike Reg fees), partial refunds, or an option to forgo any refund to allow the Pirate Cycling League to recoup expenses incurred and to allow them to continue supporting the Randy Gibson Memorial Fund.  Gravel Worlds is also offering registration to be deferred to their August 21st, 2021 event. See the above link for details.

Next up for a century ride
Planning The Fat Bike Century:

With the cancellation of Gravel Worlds, all the events I had planned on putting on, or attending as a rider, for 2020 have now been cancelled or postponed. Now my three 'events' I had wanted to do as goals are all that's left on the slate for this year. And we just got to half way into 2020! What a weird year it has been.

So, obviously the Single Speed Century was a success. Now I'm going to move on to the Fat Bike Century. Planning will commence shortly. The bike I want to use will be my Ti Muk 2. It probably should have the Rohloff serviced before I do the ride, but it isn't 100% necessary yet. I certainly will be afterward though!

I have ridden the Ti Muk 2 on gravel on very hilly terrain and I know what to expect in that regard. My proposed course isn't all that hilly though. This will not have the elevation gain that the Single Speed Century had. So, a ton of climbing is not expected to be a problem here. I also am going more East/West with the course, so head winds shouldn't be a big deal either, but you know what they say: "Famous last words"!

I'm going to try and knock this one out during the month of June before the time slips away into July, because that month I'm doing the solo version of the GTDRI. (More on that and how I am sharing this ride later) So, I need to get over this last century and maybe around mid-month I can think about knocking out another hundy on fat tires. Stay tuned........

Image courtesy of Wolf Tooth Components
 Wolf Tooth Offering "Performance" Headset Options:

Here is an item that kind of got lost in the haze of news cycles of late that might be of interest to you bike nerds out there. It concerns Wolf Tooth Components and their excellent head sets.

I own a couple of these head sets which use stainless steel Enduro bearings, and these head sets are now called "Premium" head sets. The "Performance" head sets will look the same externally, available in all nine of Wolf Tooth's anodized options, but will have black oxide Enduro bearings instead, and will come in only one stack height option.

This reduces the price to get a Minneapolis, Minnesota made head set from the $100.00-$120.00 range to a $60.00 - $80.00 range, depending upon what head set configuration your bike needs. Performance level head sets come with a one year warranty, while the more expensive Premium head sets come with a lifetime warranty.

I'm a big fan of these head sets. Like I said, I have two and neither one has given me any issues at all. The ones I have are in the blue and a purple ano colors which look great. They continue to spin freely and hold their adjustment perfectly. I've no doubt that the Performance line will do well and I may even have to get one to check out when my Standard Rando v2 comes in. That one would be something different than I have, since both my previous ones are straight 1 1/8th" and the T-6 takes a tapered steer tube compatible 44mm head tube head set. It'll be a black head set at any rate, since the bike will be yellow and black. You know....."The Gravel Bus"? Ha!

Okay- That's a wrap on this week. Hope y'all have a safe, bike filled weekend. 

No comments: