Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Project Gravel Bus: Introduction

It'll be along these lines..... Twin Six Standard Rando v2 w/carbon fork.
Project Gravel Bus:

Long time readers know that when I detail a bike build here I give it a "project name". This Twin Six Standard Rando build will be dubbed the 'Gravel Bus' because I will be using this as a gravel bike and the color scheme reminds me of a rural school bus. So, that's what is going on here. I will be detailing this build as it goes along here on the blog and give you my reasons for choices being made.

First: Why a Standard Rando?

Answer: I have three bikes in rotation at any given time doing testing for RidingGravel.com. Four if I need something with fatter tire capabilities like my Fargo or my Pofahl. Anyway... The oldest bike in the 'gravel category' I have is my 2014 Raleigh Tamland Two. It has a QR based frame, which nowadays is antique. That throws that bike out for wheel testing. Then I also have limited accessory mounts, which makes it tough to test anything needing long rides, or accessories that mount to these 'adventure warts'. Finally, the fork is a straight, 1 1/8th" steer tube fork, which is fine by me, but makes any possibility of testing, say a Lauf fork, impossible. I'm just throwing out examples here to prove a point. Then to add to all of the above- the bike has seen six years of abuses. I have a personal/emotional attachment to this bike which is unusual, and I'd like to keep it decent looking and not run it into the ground. (I'll spare you all the oft told story)


So, point is, I needed to start looking for a replacement bike that could handle through axle wheels, had decent tire clearances, had 650B capabilities, and a tapered steer tube compatibility. It should also have plenty of accessory mounts, and preferably be steel or titanium. There were several contenders. Titanium went out the window when I realized last year I would be making a LOT less money due to my job situation. So, a steel bike was what I focused on. Many of those were still far too outside my budget range. Then Twin Six started teasing an upgrade to the Standard Rando. I have had an original version of this bike, I liked it, and so I was immediately interested. Twin Six pulled off all my requirements with the redesigned Standard Rando v2, the price was well within my range, and so this is why I am getting this frame set.

I already have one- just to head off another question.
"So, why not just get another Black Mountain Cycles MCD?"

Answer: Simple- I already have one. Yeah, yeah.......It's a test bike, who cares?! I hear ya, but I don't want two of the same thing. It behooves me to have a test rig with different geometry and styling in the design so I can know if it is the bike, or the tires, for example. There's more to it than that, and again- I just do not want two of the same thing. Boring. That's maybe just me....

Plus.....there is one more important feature of the Standard Rando that will tip the scales in its favor over a MCD. 

Finally, there are some intangibles that are hard to explain here, but they all have to do with my familiarity with Twin Six's geometry and how the v1 Rando rode. I already am 90% sure I will get on with the v2 Rando frame. That's a big deal, because I need this bike for more than just fun. It has to work, or I've wasted a lot of time and money. I'm not sure about some of the other contenders, and ones I could have felt good about were titanium, and therefore, out of my reach currently.

So, there you go. That's why I am getting the Standard Rando, plus, it looks cool. I love that Twin Six took a stand and went with a design with classic lines- no massively sloping top tube mainly. A Standard Rando built up just looks classic, sleek, and is pleasing to the eyes. That is something some of the other possibilities did not have. In fact, some looked a hot mess from an 'eye-test' standpoint.

My old Standard Rando, for reference.
Now, for the one feature that really attracted me to the Standard Rando. I can set this up as a single speed. In fact, I am going to utilize a Wheels Manufacturing eccentric PF 30 insert on the new project. This does another thing, something I think a lot of companies need to consider when designing these bikes- you have a bail-out option if you sheer off a rear derailleur. 

Now, I'm not sure yet how easily one could do that with this eccentric, but it is a possibility, and that is a big asset to anyone going long, riding bigger distance events, or has to ride in poor conditions.

Besides, you folks know me- I love a single speed bike. So, the Project School Bus just might end up becoming a single speed rig. I did order the frame with all the cable routing mounts, (options abound from T-6 with this), so I can gear it up if I decide to. However; I may try this as a single speed first. If I like it, it could stay that way. Besides, the crankset I have is a SRAM Force 1, so it's already perfect for a single speed build. I could even toggle between single speed and 1X, but...... we will see. 

The final factor in making Project Gravel Bus into a single speed is that I really dislike SRAM shifters. Sorry.....not sorry. I don't get along with those DoubleTap shifters and I feel like they are not "me". Shimano works far better for how I am wired, for whatever reason, and it also works smoother and with less effort if you know how to set it up, which I do.

So, there ya go. Project Gravel Bus will be getting underway soon. I'd love to read your comments and suggestions for this project. Of course, if you have any questions about my choices that I have not answered, please ask away.

Stay tuned......

4 comments:

graveldoc said...

Gravel Bus; I like that! Having grown up in rural west central Misssouri, I rode a yellow school bus to school until I turned 16 and could drive myself to school. Much of the roads on which the bus traveled were gravel roads. Memories. As you build up your T6, I could imagine riding one on those old roads.

Skidmark said...

I’m gittin’ old so it’s harder to keep up. What is the limiting factor to setting-up the Gravel Bus with Shimano 1X? I’m with you on shifter preferences.. Cheers.

Guitar Ted said...

@Skidmark - There is no limiting factor for a Shimano 1x to be installed and used on the Standard Rando v2. It's my budget that is the limitation!

S.Fuller said...

Looking forward to seeing the build up. :)