Saturday, August 15, 2020

Solo Week Is Over

 

A rare new bike I got to build last week.
This past week I was 'flying solo' at Andy's Bike Shop because Andy went on vacation for a week. This meant that I had to be mechanic, salesman, and decision maker for a whole entire week. Guitar Ted as boss? What in the world was Andy thinking, I don't know, but I didn't blow the place up, catch anything on fire, or maim anyone, so I count it all as success right there.

Seriously, it went okay. I was plenty busy keeping repair work flow going, getting walk-ins taken care of, and I even got to build some new bikes we got in while Andy was gone. (Of course the new bikes came in while Andy was gone!)

Hours were truncated since I was the only available hand on deck, but I did work all week for the first time in......... Years. I have no idea when I worked a full work week last. Well, at one job, anyway. I work two jobs really, so it isn't like I am not working if I am not at the bike shop. But a whole week at one place? Such is the life of The International Man Of Intrigue. There were interesting bits I experienced during the week, for sure.

The Good: A little girl came in with her family, pedal in hand, and said that she was riding and "it just fell out!" Her Mother looked on with a smile, very proud of her, what.....maybe four year old, telling me what was going on with her pink with white tires bicycle. It was a left pedal in a 'mart-box' branded bike, you know the ones. The Mother said they tried to put it back in, but to no avail. Of course, I knew immediately why. 

Left hand thread! I greased up the pedal spindle and threaded on the pedal. No charge, of course. How could you charge that sweet little gal? And she was pumped. Good vibes. Good times. 

The Bad: Being 'the only guy' while there are three different sets of customers in, you are doing a 'while-they-wait' repair, and the phone rings. Stressful! But I made it through okay, everyone got what they wanted, and the phone was answered. 

The More Good: The following day after I had fixed that young lady's bike, she and her Mother showed up at the shop. Apparently the little gal wanted to present to me her hand drawn thank you card in which was written: " Thank you for fixing my bike. From Julianna." (heart melted)

This all made me think about what it would be like to own my own shop. All those things, plus more, and running the books, making buying decisions, and laying awake at night wondering where your next employee is coming from? Nope. Add in financial stress, seasonal dips and rises, and COVID-19.....Not for me. No thank you. I admire anyone that wants that gig. You have my utmost respect. 

Andy comes back in Monday. I'll be happy to see him for many reasons......

No comments: