Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Playing The Numbers Game

Image of racers on gravel during T.I.v10 by Wally Kilburg.
The other day I had a request from a person writing up a story about a gravel event which included a question about the number of gravel events happening now. How many are there? Seems like a simple question. However; it is a question that has a lot more complexity to it than you might think. I have a bit of experience cataloging these events, so I get asked this question a fair amount. Most people don't like my answer though. 

First of all, in my opinion, one must define what a gravel event is. I had guidelines in 2009 when the calendar took off, to help weed out pretenders and events that weren't anything but an adventure race, a 'monster cross' event, (remember those?), or a glorified group ride. I made the stipulation that to be on my calendar, your event had to feature at least 50% of the course in crushed rock, with no more than 20% single track/dirt, and less than 10% pavement. Using those guidelines, how many events that you know about wouldn't be a 'gravel event' anymore? 

Do those guidelines seem too strict to you? I bet that they seem really restrictive. However; let's take a look at this from another vantage point. How about a mountain bike event? Let's say a certain event has a large percentage of its course on smooth dirt double track back roads, that a major part (over 10%) is paved, and that only 30% of the course is actually single track. Is that a mountain bike race you'd want to do? Listen, I used to pay to race off road on knobby tires, and if I showed up to ride a course like that, I'd want my money back. But maybe even that would do for you. Okay.... but do you see though how things can get vague real fast without some guidelines? So, my guidelines were there to make sure events that people attended were, you know, on gravel for the most part. 

Well, then gravel got big and people were telling me that these road races with sectors of gravel were 'gravel events' and that these fire road events in the Rockies were 'gravel events' and on and on. They were contested on skinny tired bikes with drop bars, maybe, but who knows? Then the Gran Fondo thing happened and if any of those had even a sniff of off-pavement action they were dubbed 'gravel events' and the calendars others were putting out were filled with all sorts of "not-so-much-gravel gravel events" because that was the thing to do. Gravel was big. It was popular, and event directors wanted full-fields, sell outs, and notoriety. They weren't getting that from putting on criteriums and road races anymore. Just ask USAC about that. Even mountain biking events dried up in some areas due to the turn to gravel events by promoters. 

Look, I get it. I understand, but let's get back to the question- How many gravel events are there? Well, I tried to keep a decent level of 'quality' to my gravel calendar, although even I had to relax my standards after many complaints. But even so, I figure that in North America in 2019, maybe there were around 500 gravel events. Many outlets were saying that there were (or are) 700-800 events. I have no idea what they are saying is a gravel event, but those numbers are really inflated in my opinion. Worldwide? Maybe. North America? No way. 

But whatever. This whole thing about 'gravel' has been blown up and now with the pandemic, we are on a 'pause' of sorts. It is hoped that in 2021 that events will once again get back to being the sorts of athletic and social gatherings that we once enjoyed pre-COVID-19. Once things do get there you can be sure that the marketing/hype machine will get cranked up again. All sorts of nonsense will be put out there about the number of gravel events being 700, 800, or heck, why not just go for a thousand while we're at it? 

Ah! Well, it won't really matter to me. I'll just go do those events that I like that are on actual crushed rock and put on with a welcoming, open atmosphere, a dearth of rules, and a sharp sense of adventure in the air. Whatever they decide to call them........

2 comments:

Rydn9ers said...

I have done a few events this year and I have to say that most of them were smaller and had more of a back to grassroots feel to them. I know that the big bike industry will be back but it was refreshing to get a glimpse of what gravel races used to be like before they got their mitts on them.

S.Fuller said...

Personally, I'd go with your numbers. Pavement where necessary to connect sections (based on weather, safety, etc), or give riders a bit of a "break" for a bit.