Tuesday, December 01, 2020

A Note About Events Going Forward

 Over the weekend N.Y. Roll and I hammered out an e-mail for those who are registered via BikeReg.com for what was going to be the second C.O.G.100. Short story: That event is cancelled, maybe for good. Those that need the details should be getting them, or have already received them, via a message through BikeReg, the site used for the registration of the C.O.G.100 athletes. 

Okay, that's really all anyone needs to know outside of the riders about that. This post is going to cover another, somewhat related announcement from me personally. That being that I will no longer be hosting or producing events for bicycling. Basically, I have retired from those activities. 

As many of you know, I have been involved in the productions, promotions, and running of cycling events on gravel since 2004. (Actually, I helped produce and run a couple of XC MTB races before that) I've had some successes and some failures, but what really drives this decision is that I want to just ride my bicycles now. 

The time has come, and this past year of 2020 has really brought this to the fore, that I should not be draining my energies into any more event promotions and in running events. I had so much fun just going out and exploring Black Hawk County on what I dubbed as "The Quest" that it made me realize just how much time I was investing into doing event logistics, promotions, and in running events. I also was pleased to just be a volunteer at the Spotted Horse Ultra event in October, so I could see myself doing volunteering in that capacity again, but as for being in charge? No. I've done that long enough. 

As far as attending events: I will be cutting back on this as well. And really, until this pandemic is in our rear view mirrors, I just do not see why I should risk being at an event anyway. So, don't look for me to load up on cycling events. The occasional volunteering gig? Sure. Riding lots more in varied places on my schedule? Absolutely. 

I've had ideas of places I want to revisit and ride again, and I want to get going on those ideas and make them a reality. Going to an event doesn't allow time to soak things in and really enjoy a place like just riding for the sake of discovery and adventure does. I think back to my Kansas adventures while my friend Tony was riding in that 'big event' that used to happen down there. That's what I want to get back to and do more of. 

I've been itching to do a couple, kind of local to me excursions, that will have to wait until next season and warmer weather, but those and some other dream rides will be talked about over the coming months here. I hope that the adventure/discovery sort of riding is interesting for you, the readers, because that's what I have planned to be doing a lot more of in 2021. So look forward to that sort of content. Any racing promotions, rides, etc- That all is water under my dam. It was fun but now it is time to move along. Thank you to all and everyone over the years that attended rides, clinics, festivals, and group rides I was a part of putting on. Thanks most of all to any of you that helped me in those endeavors. Your efforts on my behalf are always something I'll be thankful for and which I will always think about in the future. 

Now onward......

8 comments:

Tim said...

You do not need permission nor approval to follow your spirit. I appreciate the announcement and look forward to reading about your adventures! Live long and enjoy every ride!

NY Roll said...

I know we have done a few events together from expos to races. I enjoyed learning from you on how and why you did things. I am also going to pester you to do a bike packing trip to NW Nebraska and ride a 120 mile loop with me.

MG said...

Thanks for all the incredible memories your events have given me over the years, Brother. While part of me is sad to see your awesome events go away, I’m also happy for you and the freedom you have to ride, be with family and enjoy life. I can’t wait to see you and ride with you again.

Nooge said...

For everything there is a season...

Thank you for all you have done for the MTB and gravel communities. Although I have never attended one of your events you have influenced the scene and the industry which has benefited me. I am grateful for that.

Rydn9ers said...

Enjoy your event retirement, I have some insight into what goes into putting an event on an how thankless it can be. I'll miss the GTDRI but I'm glad I made it out for a couple of those before they went away. If you and Roll get around to that Nebraska trip and the pandemic outlook is looking good, hit me up.

Guitar Ted said...

A Nebraska trip, (or two- or three) is on the mind for sure. I've got some ideas there as well.......

Guitar Ted said...

And also to all of you that have commented- THANK YOU!

teamdarb said...

Cough cough, I am always out here rolling.