Tuesday, March 02, 2021

More Testing

Fenders installed and that Whatchamacallit Bar.
Over the weekend I got the fenders installed on the BMC MCD bike. They are the excellent, highly recommended Planet Bike Cascadia ALX fenders. I have been using these on a couple of my bikes for several years now and I have to say that they are really good. I maybe would like a tiny bit more coverage, but hey! For the money, for the ease of installation, and for the bomber performance? I'm all in on these. Get you some.....

(And for the record, I paid my own damn money for the set on this bike I have and I was not asked to write that glowing review. It's what I really think- So there!)

Sad that we live in a world where disclaimers have to be added, but anyway.....

I stuffed the Teravail Rutland 700 X 47mm tires under those fenders and they barely fit! But they fit! That's pretty cool since I was hoping to be able to run these tires quite a bit in 2021. I have really enjoyed them and they remind me a lot of my favorite WTB Resolutes, only these are a bit bigger than Reso's are. In fact, I was thinking that in the mid-00's, these would have been passed off as 29"er tires. I remember testing some Bontrager tires, in particular, that were sub-50mm tires that were being called 29"er tires. 

At any rate, I would not run a much bigger tire since the MCD is pretty close on clearances with these as it is. There is mud room- barely. Obviously there is enough room to squeeze in fenders, but where I am looking- the chain stays - The room is pretty minimal there. 

Oh! I suppose you were wondering about those whatchamacallit bars and those weird grips on there? Well, that's another silly thing, see- It's called a media embargo. I know, I know...... Just following the rules here, that's all. More can be said in about a week or so. Stay tuned......

4 comments:

MG said...

Yeah, the Cascadia ALX fenders are keepers. I've got 'em on the Topstone, making it perfect for moist spring roads.

Cheerio!!

DT said...

lol @ the name of that photo....

Daniel said...

Do those fenders rattle? I can't stand fenders that rattle. Also I'm interested in what you think of the handlebars. I've had my eye on them.

Guitar Ted said...

@Daniel - Great question! The answer is that these do not rattle. They are very stable and the only time i hear any noise associated with them is when a rock gets stuck in between a couple of tire knobs and scrapes the underside of the fender as it rotates through. That happens occasionally. Otherwise no.

The bars? Thoughts will be coming next week. Stay tuned......