Aluminum framed fat bikes are even worse. Most I see are well under 1K asking price. This seems weird to me.
I know. I wondered if the whole fat biking thing was over a while back and wrote about it HERE. This latest observation of mine concerning used prices seems to reinforce this feeling I have concerning fat bikes.
As one commenter on that linked post wrote, "Fat bies are for nerds..." and most of us have our fat bikes. They do not go out of style and there hasn't been any real innovations in fat bikes for years. So, maybe the market isn't "dead" as much as it is stagnant. Of course, either way, both would lead to these smoking deals on fat bikes I am seeing now.
I don't see much analogous to the fat bike used market with the possible exception of used plus bikes. Everything else seems about right in terms of pricing. And maybe all this devaluing of fat bikes just shows that it isn't what the frame and fork are made out of or even what group is on the bike. It's more about what the bike can do for the rider, or maybe more precisely- What the rider thinks the bike can do for them.
I don't know, but I've seen some alarmingly low prices on some really nice fat bikes. That much I do know!

I think the market stagnation is definitely there. More people are stopping fat biking than are starting it. Combine that with the fact that we haven't had decent snow over a winter since 2018, and the result is what we see here today. Thankfully I'm very well set on fatbikes... as I know you are too.
ReplyDelete@MG - Climate change is certainly a factor. We haven't had the consistently snowy Winters since the 2000's, and unfortunately I did not have a fat bike then!
DeleteRelated: I used to snow shoe a lot back in the 2000 - 2010 decade but there hasn't been any good snow shoeing conditions here since then. I finally got rid of my snow shoes a few years ago.
I currently have two fatbikes in my garage that get ridden a lot in the late fall to early spring time frame (we're lucky that we have scouted some urban routes that are fun to ride whether or not there is snow). We're also lucky enough to have the shoreline of Saylorville reservoir to ride when the pool level drops low enough.
ReplyDeleteI've considered picking up one of these attractively priced carbon bikes, but it's not necessary as the bikes I have work well for me. A wheel set with 4.8 tires for the bike that can fit them would be a better item to have, even though that would see limited use.
We're
Is it possible most people who want a fat bike also want an electric motor?
ReplyDeleteAlso I expect a fat bike will be ridden slowly and dropped occasionally, which would steer me away from a carbon frame.
@Stuart - Or - Is marketing an electric motor equipped bike with fat tires more saleable because of the looks?
DeleteMy vote is people buy those e-Bikes with fat tires because they look cool and for the motor. What the tires can actually do is lost on them, for the most part.
Conversely we have 100% human powered fat bikes which were sold primarily because of what the tires can do being sold again second hand at crazy prices because the conditions which make the tires worthwhile are not as prevalent due to proximity to areas with sand, soft soils, or due to climatic issues preventing good snow conditions.
In my view, those markets are two completely different use cases.
@Stuart - HA! I couldn't have scripted this any better! Trek just announced a fat tire e-Bike called the Borrego. It is 100% in the vein of all the other e-Fat bikes you see now. Nothing like a 100% human powered fat bike meant for difficult terrain. https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/electric-hybrid-bikes/borrego/f/F468/borrego+/77034
ReplyDeleteI guess Trek sees how these other e-Fat bikes are doing and have jumped on the bandwagon. $2,500.00 by the way. So not a crazy price either.
That Trek Borrego looks like it's pitched at people who haven't ridden a bike since childhood.
DeleteI sold my fat bike a couple of years ago. First was that in central IL, we are lucky to get 1 or 2 days per year with snow where it is really useful. Secondly, I have been in the bike game for a long time, like many of your readers, and as I get older, I have no use for extra clutter and niche bikes. Having at one point had a stable of 5-6 bikes, I have narrowed it down to 1 road, 1 gravel, and 1 mountain. Have extra wheelsets to tailor the bike for the condition. With these 3 bikes, I can cover any type of ride. I am much happier now. Never want a fleet again.
ReplyDeleteThe chunkier the trail, the more fun a fat bike becomes. I think some of this loss of interest in fatbikes may be due to the smoothing of trails systems, and increase in building jump line trails vs older technical trails.
ReplyDelete