I know a couple of folks who did their own Ride For Jacob recently, and this is heartwarming. I really appreciate anyone thinking of my son and his family.
Well, Henry Pratt of New York took me up on the invitation to share his ride and he sent in a beautiful report. I hope that you enjoy this as much as I have. With no further delay, here is the Virtual Ride For Jacob post from Henry Pratt.
Dear Guitar Ted,
As it happens, I was able to do the Virtual Ride for Jacob on the 25th, perhaps even simultaneous with your own ride, as I left at 9:00am EST. I had a good three hours to use, and I wanted to get in something scenic. It would be my longest ride so far this year, recovering from a wrist badly broken in April (which I'm happy to say has now stopped limiting my riding!). In the mid-Hudson valley of NY, we don't have the endless gravel of the midwest, but we do have some pretty great stuff, including the privately-owned Mohonk Preserve (requires a membership or day pass) and the adjacent Minnewaska State Park. Both are part of the Shawangunk ridge, which is primarily known for world-class rock climbing, but which also features 100+ miles of bike-legal "carriage roads." Most of these are either fine gravel or dirt double-track, with a few chunks of single-track for the adventurous.
On the 25th, I saddled up the Titanium Hoss, my trusty Lynskey Pro GR, and had at it. The weather was beyond ideal: no real wind, clear and a million, low 70s. I don't like to drive in order to bike if I can avoid that, so rode 8 miles of paved rail trail and road to the Testimonial Gateway. This structure was gifted to the Smileys (the folks who used to own Mohonk and it's uber-fancy resort/hotel) by their rich friends as an anniversary present. It has no function now other than looking cool (see picture).
![]() |
| The Testimonial Gateway |
From there, I went through some other parts of Mohonk, mostly uphill, to the Undercliff carriage road--I should have gotten some pictures of the climbers there, but it's under construction and I didn't want to stop. Instead, I went out to Awosting Falls up in Minnewaska. We've had a dry summer, but there's still some pretty good water flowing from it. It's a 65 foot drop.
![]() |
| Awosting Falls |
I'd thought of going farther into Minnewaska (there are some great sky lakes to ride around), but was about half done with my available time, so turned around at 20 miles or so and headed back. This time I took Overcliff carriage road, which looks like this, pretty representative of a lot of the trails. The picture doesn't capture it, but this is carved into the side of a ridge that falls off steeply to the left. It's lined with blueberries, huckleberries, and dwarf pitch pine, which is a rare habitat in these parts.
![]() |
| Overcliff Carriage Road |
After that, I ventured up a good hill on Laurel Ledge, nearing the Mohonk Mountain House. The Mohonk folks built these funny little gazebo-like structures along this carriage road for their guests, and the views of the ridge are quite something, so I stopped at one for a small snack and a photo. This is looking northwest at the Trapps, Millbrook Mountain, and, in the distance, Sam's Point.
![]() |
| Overview of Trapps, Millbrook Mountain, and Sam's Point. |
After this stretch, I was at the top of the ridge, so lots of downhill to follow. I shot down some of the aforementioned singletrack, underbiking it a bit, then down the longest and fastest hill of the day, Lenape Lane. About 2/3 of the way down I started to feel an occasional, disconcerting "clunk." Not so good at 30mph with this terrain. So I pulled over, and sure enough, I'd flatted the rear tire. It was a small cut not far off the centerline, not a puncture--I think I must have ripped it on some exposed shale. A ranger happened by and asked if I needed help, but it was an easy fix. Luckily, after pumping it back up, the sealant did its job and I didn't need to put in a plug or a new tube. I don't think I've had a flat for 4-5 years, so I was due.
I was feeling stronger as the ride went on--it's great when that happens--so put some effort into the rest of the gravel and the pavement home. I finished in a touch over 3 hours, including time stopped to take pictures and fix the flat, with a shade over 42 miles and 2500' of climbing on the day.
I feel grateful to have been able to do the Virtual Ride for Jacob. I try as often as I can to reflect on just how lucky I am--to have the time, resources, health, fitness, and family support to be able to do things like this, and this ride in particular brought that home, given the occasion. I hope it was similarly meaningful out in Iowa. I'd have loved to join y'all in person, but that's something of a trek! Needless to say, any who visit the mid-Hudson should definitely check out the Shawangunks. It's a stunning place.
All the best,
Henry
Wow! What a gorgeous ride! I definitely had no idea there were things like this in New York. (Now wait for N.Y. Roll to give me the business about this!) Anyway, I really am touched by this gesture and it is so cool to know that someone wanted to honor Jacob in this way who never knew him. What a blessing!
Thanks Henry. This made my day when you sent it in.





No comments:
Post a Comment