Salsa Cycles Fargo Page

▼

Friday, October 09, 2026

Friday News And Views

LOOK G85 Cezal RS frameset (Image courtesy of LOOK Bicycles)
 LOOK Offers New Gravel Race Bike:

LOOK has a new gravel racing bike called the C85 Cezal RS. It has a focus on aero and rider comfort. 

Claiming the design reduces vibrations to the rider by 15%, LOOK says the rear clearance of 50mm is enough. They state in their marketing that LOOK's engineers feel that larger tires create issues with losses due to tire deformation and weigh more, slowing riders down. They claim this design helps gain back the rider comfort and efficiencies of the racer's body that the bigger rubber was trying to accomplish.  LOOK also claims their vibration reduction and smaller rear tire helps keep riders pedaling more, keeps the rear tire hooked up, resulting in faster times. 

A frame set like the one in the image here runs $3,290.00. USD. See this and the entire complete bike range on LOOK's site HERE.  

Comments: I like checking out what the current thinking is on gravel bicycles for racing since we all know this ends up trickling down the price ladder, even though racing tech and geometry is not what everyone really needs. That said, there often is good stuff in there which could be applied to the "average all-road" machines. 

I like that LOOK has addressed rider comfort with its upward flexing seat stay idea.  What a LOT of companies do not do is address rider vibration concerns with a front fork design that absorbs some chatter. This was especially true in the early days of gravel bikes with those chunky-legged carbon forks. (Looking at you, Enve!) 

This fork looks svelte, at least a little more slender than most, but LOOK doesn't specifically call this out in their marketing copy. Hmm..... I wonder if it is a better fork? Anyway, this is a main reason I run a Redshift Sports ShockStop stem. Most forks are jack hammering me on gravel. That is no fun. It is also why cutting edge gravel bikes are coming with monstrously fat tire clearances. I think this will change in the future once the fork gets figured out. 

Image courtesy of HAND-UP
Time For Cold Weather Gear:

I've been thinking about my cold weather gear recently and I am probably going to have to consider replacing and adding a few items to my kit for the upcoming months. One of those items is gloves. I happen to be a big HAND-UP glove fan, and I own several pairs of their gloves already. 

Sure - pogies are wonderful. They keep your hands warm and you do not necessarily need the most technical gloves to use underneath them. However; they are klunky, they restrict movement, and are a bit fussy when it comes to fitting them. I use pogies in the worst weather, but for most Winter rides, Fall rides, or early Spring rides a nice windproof, lightly insulated glove does me wonders. 

That is exactly what the HAND-UP Colder Plus line of gloves does for me. These layer with a jacket perfectly to seal out wind, and they still allow full-function of your hands which makes riding a pleasant proposition. 

I actually just purchased another pair, the one shown here, for the upcoming Winter season. I have found their gloves to wear well, feel comfortable, and look good. I like the brighter colors as they are easier to find in the pile of gear I have and they are more visible to traffic when I commute. 

Guitar Ted Lube-Off Update:

With the return of drier weather the Lube-Off has been kicked back into high gear. But that doesn't mean I haven't been doing whatever rides I could do in between rains and  the interruptions life and work presented. 

First of all, I have some good feedback from my mechanic friend Ari on the SILCA Super-Secret v2 lube which I will share in another update soon. There was also some debate in the comments regarding how to apply wax based lubricants which I think will prove interesting. 

Meanwhile that new Triboflux lubricant seems pretty impressive. There is also the Pedros Polar Drip which is in this round of testing and I am very close to rendering a final verdict on that particular lube soon. 

So, if the weather holds out and if I can dodge the elephant-sized wagons, tractors, and combines out there now, I should have a final verdict on the entire group of lubes very soon. Stay tuned..... 

Image courtesy of Van Rysel Bikes
Ford-Decathalon Team To Ride 32"ers In XC Events In 2027:

The big news on Thursday of this week was Van Rysel Bikes announcement that they are providing the Ford-Decathalon Team with 32" FS bikes for racing during the 2027 season. 

With a 130mm travel Rock Shox front fork, the bike has the travel and obvious roll-over capabilities of a larger diameter wheel. Van Rysel says their testing over a two year period has convinced them of the bigger wheel's benefits. 

But Van Rysel also went full-in with aero testing as well resulting in a bike which they claim will save team riders 15.5 watts at 35km/hr speeds over the team bike raced this past season. Most notable in the aero design are the deep section wheels and the wild, semi-drop, wing section handle bar. 

While regular folk cannot get this bike quite yet, Van Rysel has indicated a roll-out of the bike is possible sometime during 2027. You can learn more and see other images of the bike HERE. 

Comments: Technology advancements are always polarizing. The move from the traditional stem/handle bar system being two separate parts is one of those. While single piece bar/stem combinations are not anything new, (my 1992 Klein Attitude had this, for instance), the freedom to use different, non-standard shapes and configurations is new. I think this is fascinating. At first I was concerned about the stem being the highest point on the front of the bike and how this might be bad if one went over the bars in a crash. But then I remembered I ride drop bar bikes all the time, so..... Yeah. No worries. I'll just say this looks wild and are we almost at a point where off-road drop bars should be a thing? I mean, talk about aero.... 
 

 Okay, that is it for this week. Get out and ride those bicycles!

2 comments:

  1. I see what you mean with your drop bar comments. I was trying to remember where I've seen bars similar to that Van Rysel... Oh yeah, 1910-era racing racing bikes. https://bikeraceinfo.com/classics/Milan-San%20Remo/1910-milan-san-remo.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hobos and comfort riders of hybrids have been doing that with their riser bars for years. Check out your local encampments. Now the gravel scene is moving from 80s mtb is gravel bike to 90's hybrid is XC?

    ReplyDelete