NOTICE: The Guitar Ted 'Lube-Off' is a comparison of different lubrication products for bicycle chains that is undertaken in 'real world' conditions in a set way. Then I compare and contrast the results with past 'Lube-Off' products to see "which one is best for me". This is done for entertainment purposes and the reader should apply their own reasoning and discernment while reading my 'Lube-Off' entries. What works for me may not work for you at all.
NOTE: Stan's sent over a bottle of their Polar Drip Wax to Guitar Ted Productions at no charge for test and review purposes. Stan's is not bribing or paying Guitar Ted for this review. All opinions are Guitar Ted's.
![]() |
| Image courtesy of Stan's |
Okay folks! If you've been following along with my Lube-Off posts this late Summer/early Fall, you've noted the "super-secret" lube I wasn't able to reveal....until today! Yes - It's Stan's Polar Drip Wax.
What It Is: Stan's has developed a plant-based, biodegradable chain lubricant which is in the class of chain lubricants which seeks to do the same or similar jjob as a complete chain wax job without the hassle of removing the chain and dipping it in a pot full of molten wax.
A waxed chain has proven to be more efficient and thus saves watts over most other forms of lubricating a bicycle chain. Drip wax lubricants seek to eliminate a few steps which wax-potting a chain requires. Stan's now offers this Polar Drip Wax as a way to get waxed chain results without the hassles.
Polar Drip Wax is 'polar bonding formula', according to Stan's. 'Polar' as in 'polarity', not ultra-cold. This bonding technique is paired with a water based carrier which leads Polar Drip Wax into all the nooks and crannies of your chain. Once the water evaporates, a thin film of wax bonds to the chain both chemically and mechanically to provide smooth chain operation.
Stan's also recommends pairing this Polar Drip Wax with Stan's BioBased Drivetrain Cleaner ahead of the chain lube. BioBased Drivetrain Cleaner is said to be very good at cleaning the chain, (it is), and that it leaves a thin film behind which is claimed to enhance the properties of Polar Drip Wax. I'll have more to say about this later, but you can read my review of BioBased Drivetrain Cleaner HERE if you'd like more detail.
Application:
I'm going to share how Stan's recommends this lubricant be applied and then I will discuss why I have done some modification to their recommendations. First, a bullet-point list from Stan's:
- Prime: Stan’s Biobased Drivetrain Cleaner safely strips new chains and leaves a residual polar film, improving penetration and bonding without using harsh solvents
- Apply: drip Polar Drip Wax™onto chain, covering every link.
- Penetrate: Drip Wax’s aqueous emulsion carries polar wax molecules into the chain’s rollers and pins at ambient temperature.
- Second Coat: a second coat of Drip Wax can be applied after 5-minuteso
- Bond: amphiphilic molecules electrostatically attract to steel, anchoring to the chain’s surface rather than just coating it
- Cure: water evaporates, leaving a dry, matte wax film that resists contaminant pickup
I will note here, in case you missed my review of the BioBased Drivetrain Cleaner, that Stan's recommends BioBased Drivetrain Cleaner be rinsed off with water. I find this problematic as introducing water into the tight spaces of the chain results in a higher chance of corrosion, unless you blow-dry the chain in situ (messy, loud), or take the chain off and dry it using whatever method you choose there, (defeats the purpose of the Polar Drip Wax - you may as well dunk the chain in hot wax at this point).
So, I tried wiping off as much of the degreaser as I could, but it never was really dry, and it fouled the lube, actually.I was seeing wet residue on the chain after rides and this was attracting dirt, dust, and grime. No good!
Ultimately I ended up stripping the chain again and using Finish Line degreaser which left the chain dry and very clean. Then I applied the Stan's Polar Drip Wax as recommended. I did not apply a second coating.
Following are some other key features and specs behind the Polar Drip Wax:
- Longevity: 200+ miles / 322+ kilometers
- Weather: All conditions –Stan’s Drip Wax performs in all weather
- Size: 120ml / 4ozPackagingBottle made from 100% recycled sea plastic.
- Formula: 100% plant-based, biodegradable ingredients. No petroleum.
- Source: Manufactured in-house in the USA.
- MSRP: $18 / €18/ £18
Impressions:
| Appearance of the drive train after several test rides. |
A quick note on "gravel types": I have found some companies which propose "classes of gravel" to guide folks into making choices in components/bikes for gravel. Some tire testing is defined by "gravel type" as well.
While it may make sense to classify, (put in a box) gravel conditions by type, I find this to be not true in practice and misleading at best. I can do a short ride and encounter three different "types" of gravel easily. Add in having to ride to and from gravel on pavement and dirt (alleys), and defining "gravel" by type is essentially meaningless. There is a reason "all-roads" is my preferred way to define what we do on these "gravel" bikes.
Okay, with that out of the way, I was impressed by the Polar Dry Wax product in that it seems to keep my drive train clean, and it is quiet as well. Shifting is great. I have been pleasantly surprised by how Polar Drip Wax has performed so far. Longevity has yet to be tested, but as of now I see no reason not to believe Stan's claims for this lubricant.
| I blame the degreaser for this residue. |
The Touch-Test is where I run my finger across the inner run of the chain and see what comes off the chain. I also gauge how slick the chain feels.
Polar Drip Wax feels very slippery yet, but I am getting a bit more residue than the very best chain lubes I have tried. I will note though that this dirt/dust seems to be mostly on the side plates of the chain, not from the rollers, which is better if I see anything on my finger.
So Far...
I'm impressed with the Polar Drip Wax. It certainly ranks right up there with the very best I've used so far. (SILCA Super-Secret v1, Effetto Mariposa Flowerpower Wax) I'm going to monitor this lube closely over Fall riding and I will compare and contrast to my other lubricants in tis session of the Lube-Off.
For now, I would not hesitate to recommend this new Polar Dry Wax with the caveat that I - personally - would not use the Stan's Drivetrain Cleaner as a way to prep the chain. I do like the Drivetrain Cleaner, but since it does not come dry after usage and needs to be rinsed with water, I am relegating its use to when I pull components off my bike for cleaning.
As for Polar Drip Wax, I feel confident it is going to put my previous best chain lubes on notice. We will see how things end up in a couple of months. Stay tuned.....
Tomorrow: An update on that other 'Super-Secret' lube.

No comments:
Post a Comment