Salsa Cycles Fargo Page

Wednesday, September 02, 2026

The Guitar Ted Lube-Off: Super-Secret 2.0 Update

 NOTICE:  The Guitar Ted 'Lube-Off' is a comparison of different lubrication products for bicycle chains that is undertaken in 'real world' conditions in a set way. Then I compare and contrast the results with past 'Lube-Off' products to see "which one is best for me". This is done for entertainment purposes and the reader should apply their own reasoning and discernment while reading my 'Lube-Off' entries. What works for me may not work for you at all.

SILCA updated their awesome Super-Secret drip wax lubricant recently. This lube in its original form is the current top-of-the-heap lubricant in my tests. I really am impressed with its performance. Super-Secret has long life, great lubricity keeping the shifting good, and it is clean. Really clean. 

SILCA claims it has enhanced all these properties of their drip wax lube in the 2.0 release of Super-Secret. My expectations are high. In this update, I'll give you my thoughts on this lubricant so far. 

The previous update can be seen HERE. In that article I give the application process and why I had to back up and start all over again after running into an issue with a degreasing product. 

This article will look at where I am at after a couple hundred miles of usage with this lube. Most notably, I used this on the recent Ride For Jacob, but I have done other gravel rides with it on the chain. This and local rides over varied surfaces should give a pretty clear picture as to what to expect from Super-Secret 2.0. 

I'll give you my traditional close-up shot of the drive train and from the "Touch-Test" which will help us see what is and is not being drawn out of the chain rollers. This helps determine lubricity and cleanliness of each lube I test. Okay, on with the 'evidence' gathered. 

After the image I'll have some commentary. 
 

Two-in one image: Touch-Test results and drive train close-up.

Comments:

This lubricant is doing really well. Shifting is great. No complaints there. The lubricity is excellent. The chain feels slick and I'm not seeing a bunch of gunk build-up anywhere. The Touch-Test reveals a little side-plate dirt, which I also got from the Stan's Polar Drip Wax, (reviewed yesterday).  

I'd like to address the very minor amount of residue I'm seeing off the side plates on this lube and the Stan's product. My hunch is this is left-over results from using the Stan's BioBased Drivetrain Cleaner. I tried my best to flush out this product using Finishline's excellent (but most likely NOT environmentally friendly) Speed Degreaser. However; without removing the chain I don't think I was able to completely eliminate any influence from the Stan's product. 

Now I wish I'd never used the stuff, but here we are. At least the results are consistent across the two drip wax lubricants so far. Again, this side-plate residue does not concern me much, but it does seem to be more residue than I saw last year using Super-Secret 1.0. At this time, I'm going to run out the tests with what I've got going here and take into consideration that the Stan's and SILCA products are on level playing fields and that the performance where it matters seems unaffected by the Stan's degreaser.  


 However; if I had to do it over again, obviously I would steer clear of the Stan's BioBased Drivetrain Cleaner. Not that it does not work, (it does, and does so well) but specifically to my needs, it isn't a product I would use again. 

Nuff said....

I like Super-Secret 2.0 a lot and I believe it will be the winner, (again) in the Lube-Off, but if Stan's Polar Drip Wax keeps pace, it will be a definite contender. So far, it seems it will keep pace with SILCA's newest lube.  

More riding will be done before any conclusions are made. Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment