NOTICE: The Guitar Ted 'Lube-Off' is a comparison of different lubrication products for bicycle chains that is undertaken in 'real world' conditions in a set way. Then I compare and contrast the results with past 'Lube-Off' products to see "which one is best for me". This is done for entertainment purposes and the reader should apply their own reasoning and discernment while reading my 'Lube-Off' entries. What works for me may not work for you at all.
This update on the testing will focus on the SILCA Super-Secret v2 lubricant. The cleaning procedure and application procedure will be covered in this update. The next update will have the first ride impressions.There was a hiccup with the test, and it relates to a product I tried which I reviewed HERE. I'll get into all of what this entails here soon, but first let's dig into this new version of the previous Lube-Off winner, the Super Secret wax based lubricant.
What It Is: Super Secret lube was developed around six to seven years ago. SILCA was asked by some of the Pro teams they sponsor to revisit this product with the aim to update it. Specifically SILCA was asked to increase the wet weather performance of its original formula.
SILCA took this feedback, and other feedback from Pro riders, to Purdue University. Over the course of a couple of years of research and development, SILCA now believes it has improved Super-Secret to a level at which they claim the new formula actually works as well as a waxed chain.
First of all, SILCA did not change the ingredients of Super-Secret, but through their work at Purdue University, they were able to maximize the ingredients to be better at what each ingredient does. So much so that SILCA has now dubbed this as their version 2 of the lubricant.
It has some pretty heady claims, this Super-Secret v2. Slicker, faster, and longer lasting. And that wet weather performance was improved greatly. So, the expectation here is that Super-Secret will now separate itself from the Flowerpower lubricant I tested in the last Lube-Off. In those tests, the Flowerpower was very close in performance to the original Super-Secret formula.
Super-Secret v2 comes in 2oz, 4oz, and 8oz bottles at $16.00, $25.00, and $45.00 respectively. Hit the link above to see more details on this lubricant or to purchase some. (I am not affiliated with SILCA in any way.)
Cleaning and Application Process:
![]() |
| The Super-Secret v2 has been applied to the XLBird, (after I cleaned it!) |
SILCA requests the lube be put on a clean chain. I tried using the Stan's degreaser product, but it would not dry up, and since I did not want to use water to rinse it out, (this would have required I use something to drive out the water), I ended up going back to square one and using Finishline's Speed Degreaser which off-gasses to leave no moisture or residue. Then I shook the bottle vigorously and applied a single dollop of the lubricant on each chain roller.
After this I back-pedaled the bike for one minute. SILCA requires the rider to alow the bike to sit for at least four hours. I let it cure overnight.
The result was a dry chain with a slick feel to it. Perfect! Pretty much exactly how Super-Secret has always worked. So, for now it is smooth sailing and ride testing will commence.
Impressions So Far:
I think the application process is easy once you get past cleaning the chain, which can be a hassle if you've not cleaned your chain for a while. A clean cahin is paramount to achieving good results, so I was picky about this.
Disregarding the day I lost due to using the wrong degreaser product, I'd give this lube high marks for ease of application. Even the curing time is reasonable. So, top of the charts on this part of the test from my perspective.
Next On The Lube-Off:
I'm actually going to throw things back to last year's testing and give you all a final word on a lubricant from that round of the Lube-Off. Look for that this coming week.Then I'm going to delve into the Flowerpower lube and give you a refresher on how this lubricant has performed, its application procedure, and what I liked and did not like about it.
In that same post I will also go over the original Super-Secret lube. As for our new, "SECRET" lubricant, I am not allowed to speak about it until September 1st. My hope is that I can give a very comprehensive look at that lube in one shot. I may even have a winner identified by this point, if rides can be strung together with enough mileage to warrant a final verdict.
So, stay tuned for all of that! September will be here before ya know it, and this Lube-Off promises to be a pretty intense competition.


No comments:
Post a Comment