NOTE: Okay folks, if you haven't been around long enough here to know what a "Randomonium" post is, then here is the deal. I ramble, rant, and randomly moan about all things cycling in one, in-cohesive, bizarre post. "Randomonium", okay?
![]() |
| Current state of the Peregrine Mk4 |
Aluminum Wheels - Not A Downgrade:
I recently slapped on a set of wheels on the Peregrine Mk4 which had been languishing in the G-Ted Productions lab for ........years? Yes. Years. Why were they not used and why did I decide to use them now? This is a bit of an interesting story, in my opinion.
First of all, I like aluminum rims. I have no qualms about using them in my personal wheel builds. So, this isn't having to do with any dislike of aluminum for a rim material. But I find it a bit uninteresting if I see or review a set of pre-built aluminum wheels.
Why the negativity? I really do not know other than to say I am spoiled with lightweight, carbon rimmed wheel sets. Spoiled! I see aluminum pre-built wheels as being "cheaper" in terms of performance and weight. Obviously they are less expensive, but that is not why I have this proclivity to look upon aluminum wheel sets with some disdain.
But I looked at my wheel inventory and saw a couple wheel sets which, honestly, are not too shabby, and they have aluminum rims. One is a set of Irwin wheels in aluminum. The other, and the set I used on the Peregrine, is an Easton EA-70 AX, (I think) wheel set. Both are fairly light, spin well, have great hubs, and.....well, I was being a snob I guess. I need to use these wheels up.
And so I will.
| Prototype Manitou 32"er from earlier this year. |
The MADE Show coverage on Bikepacking.com has been extensive and thorough. If you have not either watched the YouTube videos or read the site, you should. I'll admit, I have not watched/read everything there yet. So, I maybe have missed a few things. But from what I've seen I gathered a few thoughts to share.
Obviously, the custom frame builders see 32'ers as an opportunity to gin up some interest in each builder who chose to show one of these wagon-wheelers. Several were showcased and each has their own take on the way this format should be done.
This indicates to me that we have not quite yet arrived at a consensus regarding standards in axle spacing, geometry, or sizing.
It's also obvious that major component makers are taking this 32" thing seriously. I saw a Fox fork prototype and a Manitou one as well. These things do not exist without some hope of cashing in on a sweet OE contract from an established cycling brand. We know Trek is toying with 32"ers and are rumored to be bringing one to market soon. I have to assume Cannondale, Specialized, and Giant, amongst others are playing with this wheel size now as well.
| From a text sent to me by N.Y. Roll. |
Don't Call It An Event:
Got a rare Saturday off coming up. It is happening due to an odd circumstance in which a gay pride festival takes over downtown Waterloo and renders doing business nigh unto impossible.
The higher-ups decided it was not worth my being there, so I get a flyer on Saturday. I'm going on an adventure ride instead. N.Y. Roll says we are doing "our own thing", but it will loosely be based off a ride called the "Dig Inn Dirt Incident".
I have vague information regarding N.Y. Roll's plans, but I do know it will be fun. The area we are riding in has plenty of rolling hills and plenty of dirt roads. (UPDATE: N.Y. Roll has a specific route shared with me now. Might mean something.....might not!)
The planned distance is 60+ miles. Metric century, maybe more. Again, I am in the hands of N.Y. Roll, so.....anything is possible! Now I just need to figure out what bicycle to ride.
I'm leaning toward the pink BMC MCD. It has a Redshift Sports ShockStop stem on it and I have a set of wheels for it with 50mm wide Resolute tires which have some knobby tread. Tread which may help on dirt roads or places where the road is barely there, which I have a sneaking suspicion we will find ourselves on.
Hopefully it doesn't rain and cancel our plans. Stay tuned....
| October 3rd, 2020. A lunch with N.Y. Roll. |
Speaking of N.Y. Roll, while doing research on the blog for this post I came across a mention of a lunch I enjoyed with N.Y. Roll in 2020.
I shake my head now, but those days were uncertain, scary, and stressful. Maybe we do not talk about this time period because we want to forget it.
I am happy I documented these days on the blog as much as I did. It is easy to forget details after six years. My post back then I am referring to now mentioned the feelings of those days of Fall 2020:
"You'll remember that at mid-March we were being told that this virus was going to pretty much end the world."
End the world as we knew it, is what I meant, and in many ways, it did just that. But we don't talk about this anymore, and I have to wonder, what about the scars left? What about the unhealed wounds we have from those days? Things which haven't been dealt with. They are still down there......somewhere.
But it is the way with us in these times. We have stress, we argue about it for several days, and a month later we've moved on to some other deal. I don't know about you, but without a bicycle to ride, and my faith, I would be in worse shape than I maybe am in now. Much worse.

No comments:
Post a Comment