Thursday, August 20, 2026

Remembering A Big Accomplishment

 The Backstory and a History Lesson:

Ever since a bunch of gravel riding freaks from Lincoln, Nebraska showed up at Trans Iowa v2 I have had a deep admiration for those folks who supported me and my event. This marked the beginning of what would become several relationships with folks from Nebraska and an event or two as well. 

The first of those events was the Good Life Gravel Adventure. Early in the days when gravel events were being thought up, (this would have been from 2005 -2010), anyone who was connected to an event was eager and willing to help out anyone else setting up an event. This was manifested in how event promoters attended and rode in each others events. 

We Trans Iowa folk heard about the Good Life Gravel Adventure in 2008. In fact, we knew there was going to be something big happening in Nebraska for a couple of years. We were definitely keen on helping out if asked. My co-director at that time in Trans Iowa, David Pals, and I decided one of us should go to the event. David was the one who attended the first GLGA and he came away from it insisting I needed to go in 2009. 

I did that and had an awesome time. Although I fell asleep three times on the bike and ended up calling it a day 35 miles from the finish. Thus started my quest to overcome the challenge which became Gravel Worlds in 2010. 

I went to the first Gravel Worlds and I ended up getting carted back to the finish by CVO, the legendary figure whose patch you may have seen on Pirate Cycling League gear. (R.I.P.) And a couple more tries ended similarly before I took a hiatus from going to Lincoln for a few years. 

My friend, Tony McGrane, (L) and I at the start line

 The 2016 Gravel Worlds:

Then in 2015 I returned to doing events like the Dirty Kanza 200, Odin's Revenge, and Gravel Worlds. No love for me in 2015, and so in 2016, I went in to Gravel Worlds with more of a set plan, some newer ideas, and an old bike which I knew like the back of my hand. 

By this point I had hooked up with Tony McGrane, a local firefighter, (just recently retired, by the way), and he and I would travel to Kansas and Nebraska for these long, ultra-distance gravel adventures. This brings me to Gravel Worlds 2016, which occurred ten years ago on this very date. 

I know this may seem like an outlandish take to some, but gravel events had grown tremendously by 2016. Gravel was now mainstream. Yes.....in 2016. 

Anyway, we were all ready to go and ride the 145 mile course set up by Cornbread and Schmidty.  This year we were going anti-clockwise around Lincoln. At the sign-in gathering at Cycleworks the evening before, Nebraskan Kevin Fox, who took the start line image shown above, told me I could have his number to call in case I needed a bail-out, but also he strictly told me NOT to use it because he said, "You aren't going to need it this year." 

I liked the thought, but I also knew this event, and most longer gravel events I tried, were extremely difficult for me to finish. In fact, I had never finished an organized gravel event over 100 miles. (Unless you count my Death Rides, but those were free, no-drop group rides). I had ridden 160+ miles at the Dirty Kanza in 2015, which was my longest single ride attempt at an event. 

Off and rolling at the 2016 Gravel Worlds
I had also done over 160 miles riding a single speed on my first Guitar Ted Death Ride Invitational, so I believed I had "it" in me to do Gravel Worlds, I just needed everything to fall into place. The weather, the nutrition, my body, mind, and bike. If I was going to make this ride work, I knew it all had to come together in harmony. One thing out of place and I would find myself in a ditch using that number Kevin gave me, despite his admonition not to use it. 

The roads were difficult to ride because the gravel was loose and sandy.

I had a plan. I had specific nutrition which I had been advised to try by a blog reader here, and in fact, this reader sent me a sample to try out before Gravel Worlds. Dried bananas from Trader Joes was the tip. It seemed to sit with me quite well, so I ordered some off the internet and had this with me for on-the bike nutrition. I had specific pacing ideas, I had clothing chosen specifically to aid in dealing with the typically hot, humid August weather in Lincoln. I had cue sheets for navigation. I had my friend Tony McGrane rooting for me. And now I had Kevin Fox's prophetic blessing as well. But would it all be enough? 

There were plastic pirate figures being handed out at a checkpoint. I picked one up and had some fun with it. 
At an optional "oasis stop", around Mile 40, I picked up a little plastic figurine they had and were handing out to riders. These were all pirate themed figures. I chose a black, swashbuckling figure I dubbed "Blackbeard Micro-Pirate". I drug it out at the stops I made and did some goofy imagery for the blog report I was going to post afterward. Oddly enough, it helped take my mind off things and lowered my anxiety about finishing.But I still had a long way to go. 

It was somewhere between Malcom, Nebraska and Valparaiso, Nebraska that I hit the wall. It was around Mile 100, where I generally always started to fade away in these events. It was very hot by this point. It was very hilly. I was slowing down some. Doubt crept into my mind. Was I running out of gas? 

Just about this time I ran across a small group of riders gathered around a pick-up truck with some woman and her kids who were handing out sodas to hot, tired riders. A "Trail Angel", as they were known by us gravel riders there. Not "sanctioned" by the event, but allowed support from a local. The truck was at the top of a steep climb. I was going to keep going, but decided to pull over at the last minute. Then I saw him. 

It was Tony! He looked me up and down and asked me how I was feeling. I told him I felt okay, I had stopped for a nature break, and I was going a bit slower. He stared me in the eyes and said "Good!". 

Somehow I knew right here we were going to finish. 

Tony McGrane leading me to the finsih line of the 2016 Gravel Worlds

The next town up the road was Valparaiso and a convenience store stop. I got a Coca Cola and this fired me up pretty good for the last 35 miles.We had one more checkpoint at Otto Pond farm to go through. The afternoon was wearing on. The Sun was unrelenting as were the hills. "How did Schmidty find all these hills?", I kept asking myself as I geared down for another long climb. 

The Checkpoint was passed. Now we had approximately 20 miles to finish this thing off. There was a minimum maintenance road in this section where Tony dumped his bike in a big mud puddle, but even this did not deter us. 

Then Kevin Fox appeared and he took some images of us as we pushed up hills and coasted down the back sides of them. (Note: The header on the blog this week is from Kevin Fox and shows this section) He left us off with an encouragement and a promise to see us soon at the finish line.  

Those last ten miles seemed to take forever; but we persevered, and eventually Schillingbridge Tap House came into view.......

Tony told me recently this is his favorite cycling image ever.

 And Kevin did see us there at the finish. In fact, he took the above image. Documenting the one and only time I have finished an ultra-distance gravel event. I'm really grateful he was there to take that image. Especially now since I just do not ever see myself going to another Gravel Worlds. 

We wanted to "beat the Sun", which was a bit of self-motivation we borrowed from the DK200. Tony came up with the idea. And we did beat the Sunset by 23 minutes. So, another little accomplishment there which, doesn't mean anything other than to myself and Tony. 

Epilogue:  

The recent Ride For Jacob brought Kevin Fox, Tony McGrane, and I back together again. We chatted a bit about that weekend on the old deck of the bridge across the West Fork of the Cedar River. Kevin reminded me about not using the bail-out number he gave me that day. Kevin looked at me and with a smile said, "....and you didn't need it. I knew you wouldn't." 

I wish I had been so confident, but I guess it goes to show you that when certain people are in your corner, it can really make the difference between success and failure. Thanks to Tony and Kevin, I found success for once on a long gravel course.  

No comments: