Sunday, August 30, 2026

The Six String Side: Sully Guitars Stardust Custom Deluxe 12

 When I started this blog over 20 years ago, I stated that it was a "Bicycle and guitar oriented elixir....". Well, the "guitar" part sort of got pushed out by the bicycle stuff, but I've always been playing. In an Easter post, several years ago, I mentioned playing my '90 Strat, and someone suggested I detail the fleet,which I have done in the past. (Just search "The Six String Side" in the search box in the upper left of the header to find those older posts)  Enjoy!

My 2022 Conspiracy Series Sully Guitars Stardust
Several years ago now I picked up my second Sully Guitars model. A Stardust from Sully's Conspiracy Series. This series is a batch-made guitar run Jon Sullivan offers from time to time and they are made to Jon's specifications in Korea. This lowers the price significantly and allows more people to get in on Jon's awesome designs. 

But the Conspiracy Series is not "custom made" by Jon and his team in the Dallas - Fort Worth area. Those cost a lot more and have more options. I've always wanted to get one, especially after my mother died in 2021. I was thinking of a tribute to her, in some way. 

I also had been itching to try a 12 string electric guitar for some time. Sure, you can get those and at relatively inexpensive prices. Danelectro comes to mind here, but there are other brands as well. I just wasn't jazzed on any of those from a design and aesthetic standpoint. 

Rickenbacker Guitars make some classic designs, and they sound good, but I've never been a huge fan of them, and they are expensive! So, I always put off trying a 12 string, until.... 

The body of the 12 string will have a quilt maple top.

One day in August of 2024, Sully put it out there that he was having a sale on custom orders. He had never done this before, so, I thought, "What the heck! I'll ask." 

I figured Jon would say no. I had heard him put down the idea of a 12 string before, saying tuning something like that would drive him nuts. But would he make one for someone? 

I sent in my request, and a few minutes later Jon gave me a thoughtful answer and somewhat begrudgingly said he'd do it. I was surprised!

Well, to be fair,I knew Jon wasn't 100% jazzed about 12's, and he said he'd have to do a bunch of R&D work, because he'd never made a 12 before. So, I was expecting a long build time. I think Jon was a bit overly optimistic in his estimation for finishing the project, and that's okay. 

See, my philosophy is this: If you are wanting someone to actually make you something, and especially if it is unique and something they haven't necessarily got in their wheelhouse, then you must give that person 100% trust and patience. As a mechanic, I learned that having someone put pressure on you to get a difficult job done by their timeline is not fun. It also is unproductive, as - speaking for myself here - it made me not want to do the job. I always did do the job, but usually it was motivated by a desire to get that customer out of my hair. Not to make them happy, or over deliver on the job. 

Lyrics from a Warren Zevon song

So, Jon was free to get this done on his timeline, whatever that would be. He still is, as this guitar is still in progress as of this writing. I'm 100% trusting him and I believe he is doing his best work for me. 

I don't know about you, but this is how I roll. Yes....it has been over two years going on now. Cool. Whatever it takes. I'm sure it will be fine and a great guitar when I get it, and it's the first 12 Jon has ever made. That's awesome. 

Now, Jon likes writing little messages or song lyrics inside the guitars he makes which won't ever be seen again once everything gets assembled. He chose some Warren Zevon lyrics from "Keep Me In Your Heart For Awhile". Considering what has happened in the last year, it means a lot to me now that Jon chose those lyrics. 

I guess this guitar is a tribute to Mom and Jacob now. 

Anyway, things are progressing along, and now that the woodwork is nearly completed, I expect this will be getting completed sooner rather than later. So, what can I tell you about the rest of this guitar? 

Well, it has a quilted maple top, a mahogany back which is chambered. The top will have what Jon has dubbed as the WTF Hole. Ha! It has a bound headstock, fretboard, and Jon's signature Hollow Block inlays. The color? Well, way back when this got started Jon was talking about some burst finish in a traditional color with his special "Glamazon" treatment which is a sparkly coating along the edges of the body. But whatever he chooses I'll be good with it. I haven't seen one of his finished customs I did not like. 

Jon Sullivan and my guitar. He might be just a bit goofy!

 So, there you go. I'm excited and this will be avery special guitar for me. Not only is it a very cool, one of a kind 12 string electric, but the little details which are part of this build make it even better. 

I'll post again when it is finished, paid for, and in my hands. Thanks for reading Guitar Ted Productions.  

No comments: