Thursday, July 23, 2026

Two Things

From the 2005 RAGBRAI
Cycling Season Is Over (Here)

In Iowa if you ride a bicycle you've probably been asked about RAGBRAI, the annual recreational, week-long ride across the state started in 1973. 

It's as if you don't ride a bicycle unless you are going on RAGBRAI. It gets annoying sometimes. I was asked this past Tuesday (while RAGBRAI was in progres), by a passing motorist if I was going on RAGBRAI. 

Ya know, people actually ride bicycles for more reasons than just RAGBRAI. But for the non-cycling public here, RAGBRAI is cycling. There is no other reason to ride a bicycle. That is fact, at least here it is. 

Another fact: Cycling season ends after RAGBRAI. Most roll their bikes into the garage after RAGBRAI and never look at those two wheels again until June of the following year. I know this as I was a retail bicycle mechanic for decades in Iowa. Other folks quit cycling as school openings approach, football season kicks into gear, and Fall yard work beckons. 

I see it every August. The precipitous fall off of cycling related activities, sales, and interest in the spot overall. The Collective just experienced one of its best months over the period I tracked from late June into July. This will be the pinnacle of our year. From here on out the business dwindles like the Sun in the horizon, with darkness coming sooner every day. 

I'll keep on riding all year, as I have, and as long as I can do that. But I'm a weirdo around these parts. 

Image courtesy of the Street Collective

Debate Rages On:

I've written a lot about conflicts between motorists and electrified vehicle users here already. I hate to have to continue this conversation,but this Summer the issue has reached a fever pitch here in Iowa. 

Local law enforcement departments across the state, local hospitals, and local cycling advocates are all voicing concerns over the sharp increase of wild, out of control use of electric scooters, e-Motos, and e-Bikes, mostly by under-aged folks who are not being safe in terms of themselves or others around them. 

Solutions voiced range from awareness/education to outright bans on cycling of any sort. The latter by ordinary citizens tired of dodging these vehicles.  

One hospital here in Waterloo had an emergency doctor advocating for motorcycle related helmets and full-coverage clothing for any two-wheeled electric device capable of going faster than 20mph. Some have advocated for users to have to obtain certificates by going through classes run by governments. Some are advocating for the licensing of the vehicles themselves, while others just want all of it to go away. 

 This issue has blown up this year to be a big-time problem and regular 100% human powered cyclists had best be aware of what is going on within their communities. If you ignore this issue you may find you are on the other side of the law when it comes to where you can ride and at what speeds you can ride at. 

I'm sure other parts of the USA are also wrestling with these issues. My gut tells me it won't be solved this year, at least here in Iowa, but when this all blows up again in 2027, and it will, something will have to give.  

No comments: