Friday, August 07, 2026

Friday News And Views

Image courtesy of Salsa Cycles
32" Fargo Live Now:

Salsa Cycles announced on Tuesday of this week that 32" Fargo frame sets were available from them now. Steel for now, titanium is yet to come this Fall. 

Comments: A drop bar specific 32" adventure bike? Yes. The Fargo is now available in the largest wheels you can get from Salsa Cycles. This follows the trend of brands getting whatever they can out in 32" wheels as fast as possible ahead of the Big Four brands. 

Although Salsa isn't necessarily a small brand. So this does hit a little differently. We will have to monitor how well this version of the Fargo does, as it may be an indication for the overall impact of 32" wheels on the market. 

But beyond speculation, we can now put some numbers on this Fargo 32"er. The frame, with carbon fork, cost $1,799.00 USD. That is surprising, to a degree, to me. I was speculating this would cost 2K. I was wrong about that. 

Then we see what Salsa estimates the weight of this Fargo with carbon fork is going to be. They are claiming an 8lb 9oz weight, which is only 10 ounces heavier than the steel frame/carbon fork Fargo in the 29"er guise. Not bad for a frame with longer stays. Although, I was a little taken aback by the weight of the frame and fork at first glance. That said, the Fargo never pretended to be a lightweight platform. 

It's an interesting offering, and that Pearl Orchid color is quite nice, if I do say so myself.  

Michael Kolakowski
BRAN Announces New President Of Bicycle Ride Across Nebraska Inc.:

When I was on BRAN earlier this Summer I was made aware the ride is 100% run by volunteers. Their president was also on his last BRAN as the leader of the organization. So this ride was going to be looking for a new President and Vice President for the coming years. 

Having been an event organizer for as many years as I was, and knowing volunteers are the heart and soul of any event, I was concerned about how a new President and Vice President would affect this cool event. Well, my fears were allayed recently concerning this when I received the email sent to past BRAN riders which heralded the news of BRAN's new officers. 

The new President is Michael Kolakowski, and the new Vice President is his wife, Jackie Kolakowski. I rode with Michael all week long at BRAN, and I got to know him well enough to be of the opinion he is the perfect person to lead this ride into the future. 

Michael is an avid cyclist, being a commuter in Omaha and loving his country rides in a way I could relate to easily. He is a BRAN veteran, having been on many past BRAN rides and he knows all the ins and outs of BRAN as a rider and as a volunteer on the team for several years. 

Of course, I do not know Jackie, but I have no doubt she is as capable as Michael is, and by his own admission, a very smart and capable individual in her own right. So I feel she will also be a compliment to BRAN and its future.

Congratulations Michael and Jackie!

Guitar Ted Podcast Update:

I haven't been promoting the podcast here as much as I probably should be. So, let me take a bit of space here to do this.....

We're putting out shows at around one every two weeks or so. The latest ones, "Episodes 112, 113, and 114 are all pretty new. If you haven't listened for a while, you can catch up with us on those episodes. 

We  are hoping to get a few interviews done before we take our traditional break in December. Look for those to be sprinkled throughout the coming months. 

Finally, a big 'Thank You" to all who have expressed their feelings about the podcast to me of late. It appears several of you listen faithfully whenever we post a new episode.  N.Y. Roll and I are always amazed by any responses we get. So, again - Thanks!! 

I think we are going to get about 15 more episodes in before the end of 2026 which would make this year the record for episodes released. Year four isn't quite over with yet, but we are looking forward to Year 5 with anticipation.  

Embark: Good Stuff!

About four years ago, N.Y. Roll brought back a nutritional product for cycling, (and more), by a Wisconsin based company called Embark. I tried it out and it worked so well I actually bought some and tested it out for the site HERE

Oddly enough, I don't do enough events anymore that I think about on the bike nutrition, but the Ride For Jacob got me thinking about this again. Actually, you could say this started percolating in my mind during BRAN. 

Anyway, I landed on Embark in my research on the site here. I actually had a spare packet of the stuff and used it up this Spring, but at that time I did not place another order for it. 

Well, this past week I went ahead and got some more. They are currently running a sale on their Embark Maple Energy packets if you are curious. I highly recommend the stuff. 

By the way, I am not affiliated with Embark in any way, so I don't get anything out of it if you decide to check them out. It's just really good, natural energy which tastes great and can be used straight, in water bottles, or in cooking. 

That is a wrap on this week! Thanks for reading Guitar Ted Productions. Now get out there and ride those bicycles.  

1 comment:

Ben said...

Just here to 2nd Embark as being really good stuff...especially the coffee maple...and Eric the Fox is a pretty cool dude. Their early days / prototype packaging error that turned into a lot of donating/supporting gravel races in the area got me turned onto them.