Saturday, September 12, 2026

Guitar Ted Lube-Off: Triboflux Bicycle Chain Lube

  NOTICE:  The Guitar Ted 'Lube-Off' is a comparison of different lubrication products for bicycle chains that is undertaken in 'real world' conditions in a set way. Then I compare and contrast the results with past 'Lube-Off' products to see "which one is best for me". This is done for entertainment purposes and the reader should apply their own reasoning and discernment while reading my 'Lube-Off' entries. What works for me may not work for you at all. Also, I did not receive this from the company but I did pay for it with my own money. 

Image courtesy of Triboflux
Another Drip Wax Chain Lube:

Triboflux came across my emails the other day and so I investigated the product. Was it worth my attention and time to test it? Over the course of years which I have conducted the Lube-Off, I have come across some pretty obscure, weird, and sometimes dismal products. Anything I try out takes time in preparation, riding time, and writing time. 

So, maybe I'm getting more picky with my choices, but I do not want to spend energy on a product unless it is (a) based on a general formula/principle I know works and (b) is from a brand which I feel has staying power in the marketplace. I'm certain there are great lubricants being concocted by genius chemists/cyclists/product developers which might blow me away, but will you be able to buy that product five years from now

Triboflux seemed to pass the sniff test. Maybe they won't be around long, but I get the feeling they will be if their claims hold up. What might those be? Well, here you go....

What It Is: 

Triboflux claims their lubricant is made with a proprietary wax formula and plant based oils in a water carrier format. They claim it will shed water, dirt, and grime, keeping your chain clean and extending drive train life. It is a PFAS free formula. There are corrosion inhibitors and emulsifiers and stabilizing agents in the lube. A 30ml bottle (What I am testing) costs $12.99 USD.  

Installation: 

Triboflux goes beyond asking the user to start with a clean chain and insists you clean your cassette, jockey wheels on the derailleur, and your chain rings to ensure you are not fouling the lube right out of the gate. I think this is brilliant advice, even if it entails more work than recommended by most chain lube brands for application. They also give realistic expectations for road usage and gravel usage in regard to reapplication intervals. I found all of this refreshing, as giving such specific information usually is not the case with other brands of chain lubrication products. 

Expectations & Test Bike:

The Noble GX5 is going to get the call-up for this test. I will strip the chain, cassette, and single front chain ring before installing the Triboflux product. After an overnight cure this bike will enter the rotation and be ridden throughout the Fall. 

Typically I test for only dry weather results, and to be fair to the other lubricants I am testing, I am going to stick to dry weather riding for this Lube-Off session. However; if Triboflux proves to be an outstanding lube, I may continue on into the Winter as long as I can and see about wet weather results. 

Beyond this, I expect to see a clean drive train, experience smooth, efficient drive train performance, and see Triboflux push SILCA and Stan's lubes back into the background. Will this happen?

Stay tuned.... 

No comments: