Monday, December 17, 2012

Family Matters

It's never too cold to ride, Son.
The weekend was a whirlwind of activities, but most had nothing to do with bicycling. That's okay with me when it comes to family things. That stuff matters more than cycling any day.

So it was that we spent Saturday celebrating Mrs. Guitar Ted's birthday. Made her breakfast, took her out to lunch, and spent the entire day with her and the rest of the family.

On Sunday my son wanted to watch a professional football game. I used to be head over heels for football back when I was his age, so I obliged him and we had a good time. Knowing football as well as I do, I was able to spot things the announcers were missing, or ignoring, I don't know which. Frankly, I was appalled by the lack of insightful commentary by the crew doing the game. This must be the norm, I don't know, because I don't typically watch this stuff anyway.

So, anyway, we hit the streets after the game on our bicycles. (You knew I'd sneak in a bicycle ride, right?) My son and I trekked down to a local park where he played on the structures there and I goofed off on By-Tor the Titanium Mukluk. Well, I managed to slide my rear tire on the wet timbers surrounding the play area and biffed on my left knee. Okay...that's three times in the same area.  Can this be over with now?

The rest of the ride went without incident, and we made it home to a house full of the smell of home made chicken soup.

I did get in some other bicycle related stuff. I made a big dent in maintaining the fleet. I managed to almost get a special project done, I mounted fenders on my Orange Crush for the winter, and did a bit more cleaning. But the main focus was family time, and it marked the first Saturday I hadn't ridden in months and months. But it was all totally worth it.

1 comment:

George said...

Two words: knee pads.... :-)