Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Honeman Flyer Project: Update

Image courtesy of King Fabrications
This update on the Honeman Flyer is going to cover the potential build for the bike. If you are seeing this for the first time and don't know what this is about, the introduction can be found HERE

So, I have a back-stock of parts which is pretty crazy. Even I cannot remember what I have! So, it didn't come to me until Monday (yesterday) that I had a carbon crank for this bike. Anyway.....

As of now, I can go either with a silver based component look or I can go black. Within those colors I have options as well. It's dizzying with all the choices. But, I have come to a preliminary decision as of now. 

The goal is to build this up in a way which allows me to use mostly parts I already have on hand. Right now, where I am at with this, I think I can get away with only having to purchase a bottom bracket. Well, as far a major parts go, that is it. I did have to order a rear through axle. I also bought two new water bottle cages for it as well. I probably will have to buy the housings for the brakes also. I may even have to buy an extra long rear brake cable, but we'll see. Maybe not.... 

Otherwise things like a head set, brakes, rotors, handle bars, and a stem all are here to get going on the build. The wheels are all set up and ready now as well. If you missed the post on the wheels it can be seen HERE.

A pile of parts I am wading through to find the build for the Honeman Flyer.

I am pretty sure, at least as of this writing, that the theme will be black ano for the build. The bike has a lot of black all over with that crackle design to that paint job and I feel as though this calls for a black parts build. Plus the hubs are black on the wheel set as well. 

Factoring into this is that I have a black seat collar and a black head set, neither of which I have in silver. So a silver build would require more parts to be ordered. With that, here is a list for the parts. Keep in mind any of this could change once I get the frame and fork in.

  • Crank: SRAM Rival carbon with a 40T ring (Previously used on the Standard Rando v2 SS build)
  • Head set: Cane Creek 40
  • Stem: (Depends on fit)
  • Seat Post: Likely an FSA zero offset post I have, but I also have an old Tamer carbon post that might work with zero offset. 
  • Seat Collar: Salsa Cycles black ano
  • Brake Levers: Tektro RL's (I have ones in all black or black hoods with drilled silver levers)
  • Brake Calipers; TRP Spyre
  • Rotors: 6 Bolt SRAM
  • Bottom Bracket: Needs to be purchased.
  • Pedals: Shimano SPD
  • Saddle: WTB Volt
  • Chain; TBD
  • Bar Tape: Magenta MSD brand. (In image above)
  • Wheels: Paul Components WORD Disc hubs, black, laced to Velocity Blunt SS rims in black with half of the spokes silver, half black. 20T Shimano freewheel cog attached. 
  • Tires: Teravail Rutland 700 X 42m set up tubeless.
Image courtesy of Erik Mathy

Okay, I think that about covers everything. I may have missed a bauble here or there. But again, this all may change. I hope it doesn't because I have a very limited amount of time to get this together and test ride it. 

This was compounded by the time it took to let the paint cure, which was all of last week, and the frame and fork did not get shipped until yesterday. Coming from California to Iowa will take all the rest of this week. That means I won't probably get my grubby hands on the thing until maybe Friday, (that's the shipper's target date), but it could be Monday or Tuesday of next week, knowing how shipping usually goes. 

That means that I will have about nine days to spare before I leave for Mid-South. Everything had better go according to plan because if it does not, well...... 

It will go according to plan. Right? 

Stay tuned. 

4 comments:

Phillip Cowan said...

Congrats on the new build. Sounds like it's gonna be a stunner. While everything is new and clean you might as well go with a waxed chain to keep it looking spiffy. I've just recently startrd doing it again after 30 years because I think the tech has improved and I'm tired of chain tattoos.

Guitar Ted said...

@Phillip Cowan: Thanks! On waxed chains; I plan on using the highly rated Flowerpower Wax Chain Lube from Effetto Mariposa on the chain. Melt waxing a chain isn't going to ever be a thing for me because I believe with today's lubricants that is not necessary. YMMV.

MG said...

I’m so stoked for you… I also love that you still have a Tamer post laying around… I’ve got a few of those as well. Might need to find a 27.2 shaft and pop it in one of my bikes. Those posts have such a great ride quality…

Guitar Ted said...

@MG - Thanks! Yeah, I was thinking that with the minimal seat post extension for this design that the Tamer would be a better choice in this application. I need a zero offset too because of the super slack seat tube.

We will see how it goes!