Wednesday, July 03, 2024

Gravel Grinder News: WTB Introduces Three New Gravel Tires

WTB's new gravel tires in their new "Zero-Plastic Packaging".
Note: WTB sent over one set each of the Vulpine S, Vulpine, and Resolute tires for testing and review to Guitar Ted Productions at no cost. I was not paid nor bribed for this review and I will always strive to give my honest thoughts and opinions throughout. 

 Today WTB has announced three new gravel tires to flesh out their wide range of current gravel tires further. Added to the range are a wider Resolute at 700 X 50mm, a wider Vulpine at 700 X 45mm, and a new variant of the Vulpine called the Vulpine S at 700 X 40mm and 700 X 45mm. 

I'll breakdown the tech specs on each tire and in following posts, I will give you my riding impressions on each tire so far. WTB sent out these tires in late May, so I have had plenty of time on them all. 

Vulpine S:

 First, let's get into the new Vulpine S, a race oriented gravel tire. This is a variant on the popular Vulpine gravel tire which has been out for a while now in 700 X 36mm, and 700 X 40mm widths. The Vulpine S has a slick central tread area with those small, rectangular knobs that gradually increase in size and become more squarish off on the shoulders. 

The tire features WTB's Dual DNA compound with a harder rubber down the center and softer rubber in the shoulders of the tread. The casing is 120TPI and features WTB's SG sidewall protection. The TCS tubeless ready casing can be set up tubeless with sealant or with tubes. 

This tire is available in the 700 X 40mm or 45mm widths in either tan wall or black wall casings. 

First Impressions: The Vulpine S tires I received were in the 45mm width. In the messaging from WTB, I was told to expect all the models I was sent to not measure at their stated width until after they had stretched out for a bit. True to form, the Vulpine S when mounted to my 24mm inner width rims came out at slightly under 45mm. However; they now are measuring at 45.4mm/45.8mm. 

My samples weighed in at 561gm/559gm each. This is very competitive for a tire with such a wide casing and for having sidewall protection. This tire retails for $69.95 each.

The Vulpine S seemed to have a rounded profile as well, not the typical WTB slightly flattened crown as with several of their gravel tires. I'll have more on the ride and performance in my follow-up post. 

Resolute 700 X 50:

This tire is the widest Resolute ever offered. The 700 X 42mm Resolute has been a favorite of mine for years and was developed after tire testing by WTB at my old Trans Iowa event a decade ago now. It is the "all-rounder" gravel tire meant for all conditions, wet, dry, hard pack or softer roads. 

The casing is a 120TPI one with the Dual DNA compound. However; this tire has WTB's SG+ casing which has a bead-to-bead puncture protection layer. 

Samples weighed in at 608gm/609gm each, which for a claimed 50mm tire is pretty outstanding. However; this tire has not shown the claimed proclivity for stretching out to size that the other two models I received have shown. The latest measurements I am seeing on this tire are 48.7mm/48.8mm. These are mounted on 24mm internal width rims as well. 

The Resolutes carry a $69.95 price tag for each tire. 

First Impressions: Besides the disappointing width these tires are just like an old friend to my mind. That slightly flat crown of the Resolute 42mm tire is here and that translates to a great, stable ride on loose crushed rock roads. More on the Resolute 50mm tires in my follow-up post. 

Vulpine 700 X 45mm:

When WTB released the second version of the Vulpine tire I was duly impressed, but when I asked about a wider than a 36mm version, I was told it would be awhile. Then there was the 40mm Vulpine. Better, but..... Again, WTB said to wait. Someday that wider Vulpine would be here. Well, now I have it in hand and it is a nice tire! 

Like the Vulpine S, this tire has the SG sidewall protection, a 120TPI casing, and the Dual DNA rubber. The center tread is the traditional Vulpine pattern here though, and that means more grip. 

The Vulpine in the 45mm width weighs a tic more than the Vulpine S and comes in at 571gm/580gm each for my samples. True to form, as with the Vulpine S, these tires did stretch to size and are currently 45.1mm each in width on 25mm internal width rims. 

The Vulpine 700 X 45mm tires are also $69.95 each and come in black wall or skin wall casing. 

First Impression: This tire was highly anticipated by myself and others I know, but my enthusiasm is somewhat dimmed now, only because the Vulpine S is a faster tire than this model and suits my conditions a bit better. That said, this tire is really good and if it weren't for the "S" version, I'd be crazy over this model. Spoiled I am..... 

WTB now uses packaging made from 100% recyclable materials.

 Overall Observations:

WTB has really upped the ante with their new Vulpine S offering and these wider versions of the Vulpine and Reso are great. I will only say that the lack of a true 50mm width on the Reso is a bit disappointing, but maybe my sample is an outlier here. Let's hope so. That 50mm width is a popular size these days and is a width I think will be in demand from riders for quite some time. With newer gravel bikes being designed around such big tires, my hope is that WTB hit the mark with the Resolute and that I just got a set that is odd for some reason. 

Overall, all three models have had excellent air retention characteristics and have been showing no oddities in usage. Installation of all three, on different rims, was typically late-model tubeless. Meaning that I was able to use a floor pump to set them up and things went pretty well. 

As for what I am using for air pressures, I have not gone above 40 psi, and that only to set up the tires. Riding pressures have been at anywhere from just above 30psi to the upper 30's but I have found the lower half of the 30's to be a good place for me. Your mileage will vary there, so take my settings as a guide, not a hard and fast rule for you. 

And I have to mention the packaging, which is plastic-free and 100% recyclable. Kudos WTB! I love that they did this. 

So far, I am in love with the Vulpine S, but you can learn why that is and more about the other tires in my next post following this one.

1 comment:

MG said...

Looks like some good additions from WTB. That 50c Resolute is something I’ve always wanted to see.