Friday, September 14, 2007

Friday News and Views

Bits and pieces today folks. Enjoy!

Mr. 24 Gets Outta Here! : Well, I knew it would happen someday. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy either. Everywhere I go, folks all say the same thing too. He's paid his dues, and now Mr. 24 is moving out to Colorado's Front Range area. He'll be missed 'round these parts, but I suspect he'll be back to visit now and again. Good luck Jeff and congratulations on your successes. I look for many more in the future!

Update on the Pofahl Single Speed: You might go back and check last Monday's post if you don't know what I'm referring to here. The new rig is awesome so far. Rigid as heck laterally. I don't think I've ridden a 29"er as stiff laterally as this bike is. Industry Nine wheels help a lot there, I'm sure. The big question is, "how compliant is it vertically?". Well, it is and it isn't. Let me explain: The front end is pretty stiff since it's got a 430mm axle to crown fork, ( read- short fork blades don't flex like long ones do.) and the twin laterals make the front triangle, ( or would that be triangles?) like the Rock of Gibraltar. The rear end is nice and smooth, but it's not from what you might think. Remember, it's got a fair amount of exposed seat post and that post is a 26.8mm diameter one, so it'll flex more easily than a larger diameter one would. Secondly, I have that super plush Selle Anatomica saddle. It's very nice! And lastly, there maybe a bit a give in the rear triangle vertically, but it's minimal compared to the first two things mentioned. I'll report back with more after some real off road and longer gravel grinders. The bottom line so far: Keep a big squishy tire up front and I'll be happy!

Interbike Is One Week Away: Well, it actually is more than a week, but effectively it starts a week from tomorrow for me. I will have to get all my schtuff together on Saturday and I'll be flying out a week from Sunday. Next week will be the lead up. I expect that maybe a few more things may leak out before hand but not that much. Most folks are going to be holding their cards until the show now and will be busy getting last minute stuff together next week anyway. Any requests from the audience? Let me know what you want to hear about, and I'll try and track it down. Leave me a comment and I'll put it on my list.

In the meantime, check out the news as always on Twenty Nine Inches. We've upgraded the site just in time for the show and we will be throwing up our usual mega-pictures and giving you the lowdown on what's up with the 29"er scene with a nod to 650B stuff as well. This year I'll be doing the Outdoor Demo as well, so I'll have some ride impressions to pass along to everyone. Look for the fun to be broadcast starting on September 24th. I'll also update this blog with stuff from the show that's not really Tewnty Nine Inches friendly but fun none the less. Stay tuned!

Ride your bike this weekend and look for fall. It's hitting the Mid West already! Brrr!

No comments: