Friday, November 28, 2008

Friday News And Views

Random ramblings today. Enjoy!

The Funk?: Lately I've experienced a couple rides in a row that have been characterized by a sluggishness, and general fatigue. Last Wednesday's ride was marked by really sore legs during and afterwards. I'm not sure if I'm just "over training" (A rather ironic term, since I am not really training for anything at the moment), or perhaps I have some low grade "funk". I hear a lot of crud is going around. Whatever it is, I wish it would just go away!

Testing, testing, testing... So the testing continues. Wednesday was the Fargo/Geax combo and more HiFi/Rock Shox riding. Even though I haven't been feeling so great, the riding has been fantastic. Dry, warm enough, and actually beautiful out there. Testing is a fun part of my gig with Twenty Nine Inches. I am blessed to be able to ride a lot of really cool stuff. Still, it's a job too, so even if I am not "feeling it" during a ride, I have to keep on keepin' on to get what I need figured out. More testing and fun will be had on Saturday when I attend the Turkey Burn III at Camp Ingawanis.

Trans Iowa Recon: If it ever freezes up, I think the final little bit of T.I.V5 recon we need to get done will happen. But not until we can safely traverse some dirt roads. I think we have about 25 miles to confirm yet and it'll be time to start working on cue sheets and after that, verifying the whole shebang again. That'll tie up all the route finding and cue sheet stuff for T.IV5 with a final run of the course to be done just previous to the event to make sure the route is good to go.

Want to Volunteer?: Now it is time to start thinking about a volunteer force to help run this gig. I'll be danged if three former volunteers aren't actually doing the event this year, so my past pool of volunteers isn't as big as it once was. And don't be fooled! It never was a very big pool! So....if yer so inclined to be standing around in weird places in Iowa on the first weekend in May, 2009, please give me a shout. I'll get you hooked up. We have three checkpoints this year, but in a stroke of pure luck, I think it may be possible to man the checkpoints with only two crews. It would give an individual a great chance to follow the event in a very unique way. I will say that being "inside" T.I. is a very rewarding experience. If you are curious, this is a great way to find out what it takes from both an organizational point of view, and a rider's point of view.

Okay, get out and ride if you can! Start burning that turkey now!

No comments: