Friday, February 18, 2011

Friday News And Views

Frostbike '11: First up is Frostbike and I am attending again on both Saturday and Sunday. Tonight I'll be hanging out in Northfield, Minnesota and maybe doing some silly things, who knows. However that falls out will get reported on here throughout the weekend. Stay tuned for that. Also, I already have gotten some 29"er specific news that is pretty cool, so stay tuned to Twenty Nine Inches for that as well.

Orange Crush #42: Here she is all built up after the maiden voyage to work yesterday. I'll do a separate build list and photo essay on this rig, but please keep in mind- this is a total parts bin build!

The only part I had to buy for this as you see it was the frame/fork, and head set. The rest was all sitting around in The Lab, being unused. Notes: The lighting at work washed out the color here. It actually looks brighter and darker outside. It is obviously set up as a single speed, and will stay that way for a while as we work our way through the crap weather. So far, I am super stoked about the ride. I went for a bit more aggressive position than I would have on my 29"ers and so far it has been great. The #42 refers to the serial number. Less than 100 Black Mountain Cycles bikes exist and only about 50 of them are cross bikes.  More later......

Trans Iowa V7 Updates: Due to the Frostbike weekend, the regularly scheduled Trans Iowa update will not happen this week. In fact, I may put it on hiatus for a couple weeks unless I come up with a worthy reason for updating. Hopefully, all the training is going well out there and everyone is getting a plan together. Remember: If you can't make it for any reason, please let me know ASAP!!

DK 200 Chronicles: This may still happen for Sunday, which is the day I have chosen to post these. I can tell you now it will be most likely the build out post for the BMC bike above, but there may be more. Stay tuned....

Off Road Bar Update: I'm going to do a massive off road drop bar post on Gravel Grinder News and an update on the Ragley Luxy Bar on Twenty Nine Inches soon. Stay tuned for that.

3 comments:

cowspassage said...

The BMC looks great. Am I allowed to ask a gentleman how many gear inches he rides on his single speed? Looks like a smallish ring and sprocket.

Wally said...

Is Ol' 42 sporting those Luxy bars? I can't wait to hear what you have to say although I'm thinking of just ordering a set today anyway. I like them being available in a silver finish. Ben (as always) has helped me flush out an idea on my new Vaya frame as well as possibly a new V2 Fargo. That guy excels at helping me spend money. A true friend.

Guitar Ted said...

@cowspassage: (Nice handle, by the way. :>) ), I have a 40 X 20 gear set up which for me works well in hilly terrain. I have a metric century event next weekend that will probably have me walking a few hills even though that front ring looks small. ;>)

@The Catalyst: The Luxy Bars are nice, but keep in mind- They are REALLY WIDE!! Almost too wide for me and I like wide bars. (27.5" from tip to tip) They do have a nice flex when your hands are perched on the extensions though. More than a Woodchipper by a little. Finally, if you will be riding the hoods or deep in the drops, make sure you account for the reach with regards to stem choice.