Saturday, June 30, 2018

Minus Ten Review- 26

The Pofahl with really swept back flat bars. It was supposed to have flat bars from the get-go.
Ten years ago on the blog I was gabbing about a few changes I find notable today. First was that the old Goodwill store which used to be on the East side of the shop where I work at was in the process of moving to the West side and into a refurbished/new space. Hard to believe that was going on ten years ago now.

The second thing I noted was that I got MG's tubeless recipe from him and used it to successfully convert some old WTB Vulpines to tubeless. Vulpines were never tubeless ready, so this was a risk, but they held up for years and I actually still have those tires. They are pretty good gravel tires even with today's gravel specific treads coming out.

The last thing was that I decided to ride out at Hickory Hills with the mountain bike. It had been about ten years since I had been out there previous to that, back when the shop I work at sponsored and ran a XC mtb race out there. Now, I cannot remember when I did the following, but I did explore every trail out there once. Yeah.....they weren't all open to cycling.... The reason I did that was that I wanted to know if what I had heard back in the late 80's was true. That Hickory Hills was the best spot for mountain biking anywhere. That was true ten years ago. Maybe not so much now, but...... With some tweaks and development, it could be. Will we ever know in my lifetime? Unlikely, as those that should be focused on prime land for the best, challenging mountain biking are focused on expanding river bottom trails that get flooded out consistently and require he-man loads of maintenance.

So, no. I don't see this happening anytime soon. Glad I rode it the time I did.

No comments: