Wednesday, March 08, 2023

Gents Race: Bike Choice Part 2

The current state of the Noble Bikes GX5
Last week I posted my thoughts on bike choice for the Gents Race upcoming on April 1st in Slater, Iowa. I listed my thoughts on why the Twin Six Standard Rando v2 was a good choice. Well......kind of. I got sidetracked and went off in another direction talking about head set adjustment. 

Today I want to go over my reasons for taking the Noble Bikes GX5 versus the Twin Six and why one or the other is not a good idea for the event.

Okay, so first let's look at the obvious- The Noble Bikes GX5 is pretty much a 'gravel race bike'. It has a carbon frame and fork. It is my lightest gravel oriented bike. It has high-end wheels, components, and would do everything well that I need it to, especially for the Gents Race. 

I've been fortunate enough to have had several components sent in to me to review which have ended up on this bike. (Standard Disclaimer Page) Those things are very light and focused on comfort. Everything lines up for this to be the bike for the Gents Race. 

So, why even think about taking the Standard Rando? 

Well..... Steel frame for one. This event happens when the weather can be anything. Last year was a good reminder that mud and grit can be an issue and on a carbon frame. Grinding more grit into it via tires is going to shorten its lifespan. 

The Standard Rando is also a bit more stable. Especially in looser conditions and in heavy winds, which the Gents Race has been known for. The Standard Rando is also a tic more comfortable in terms of positioning. 

The carbon bits on this bike also help to keep the weight down and more comfortable. The drive train has a bit lower gearing which would be nice in a heavy wind. There are a lot of things to recommend the Standard Rando v2.  So.....

Which one? 

Frankly, either one will be okay, it is me I have to worry about! I need to get in the miles and get 'tuned-up" or neither bike will really do me any good here. So, I think I will do rides on both and just see how I feel. But yeah....I need to get into shape more than I need to be worrying about this!

But it is fun to speculate and look at the gear. Stay tuned.....

1 comment:

S.Fuller said...

This may be Bob's year to shine :)