Saturday, March 25, 2023

The Singular Gryphon Mk3: First Impressions And My Intentions For This Bike

Now that my Singular Gryphon Mk3 has been together and ridden several times I thought I might drop a few impressions of this rig and then cover my intentions for this bicycle. 

This is obviously a 29"er drop bar MTB and takes the Gryphon from its more gravelly side, which really suited the original Gryphon, more towards the MTB/off-road side with its burlier tube set, heavier-duty fork, and wide tire gobbling capabilities. Not that I couldn't slap on some narrower rubber and go gravel grinding, or even pavement riding, but when you behold this beast, it exudes a feeling of off-road capability and toughness that the original Gryphon did not do as well. And I've had both the Mk1 and now this Mk3, so I feel I know what I am on about here. 

Honestly, this version of the Gryphon fills a hole that I've been trying to fill in my bike corral since 2015 or so. The original Gryphon I had, while being a beautiful bike in its own right, wasn't "that bike" and I had duplicate types of that bike anyway. So, while I still do really miss that old Gryphon, this one fits what I need in a way that is much more practical now. But I'll get to that more in a bit....

The Gryphon Mk1 I used to own.

The Gryphon Mk3

Impressions: 

You can see from the images above how radically different the two Gryphons are one from another. There really isn't much comparison. The new Gryphon also is more of a versatile rig as well. The nice addition of mounts for fenders, racks, and storage more useful for bikepacking and longer gravel rides are all welcomed here. The larger tire clearances allow you to configure the bike in a way that makes this Gryphon a more mountain bike friendly rig, and it allows for more comfortable long-distance touring off-road with those cushy tires. 

The original Gryphon had a really sweet ride quality, no doubt enhanced by its Reynolds steel fork and nice, compliant frame tube set. I was a bit worried that this beefier looking Gryphon would lose all of that, but the good news is that this bike also has a very nice steel springiness to the frame and fork. Part of that might be attributable to the longer lengths of tubing used in the Mk3 over that of the Mk1. This is also noticeable in the larger front triangle, which also lends itself to more voluminous frame bag opportunities. 

This is how I have it kitted out for use at the moment.

The bike is longer as well, which is probably going to make me want a shorter stem, but for now I am trying to see if this is a set up that is better for me or if I will have to revert back to my tried and true "numbers" I have for my fit. You never know! This might actually change my mind and be better. 

So, this is a very satisfying ride and I am overall very happy with the frame and fork. The ride is very smooth, and I imagine that with a load on, it will only feel that much better. I also should note that it doesn't feel too flexy where it shouldn't, so this is a plus also. 

Intentions For The Gryphon Mk3:

Why did I get this bike? As I stated above, something that I observed back in 2014, I believe it was, at Odin's Revenge in East-Central Nebraska, made me want a 'plus-sized' tire 29"er. The way I noted that a tire and rim combo like that could walk away from normal MTB and gravel bike tires in muddy, soft conditions was eye-opening. I later made my then Ti Muk fat bike into a 29+ wheeled bike, and it was "okay", but not at all what I really wanted. I sold the wheels and tires and dreamed of a day when I could make a bike like that up for myself that had the 29+ tires and drop bars in a geometry I would get on with.

I hatched a plan for a two-day gravel tour last year using this set-up.

The Gryphon Mk3 is that bike and it allows for those big, 3" wide 29"er tires. I decided 29" X 2.8" would suffice, and so here I am. The bike came out just as well as it could have - better than I anticipated, so I am very hopeful that what I put this bike up against will prove to be an easy task for it. 

One of those things will be a two-day, over night gravel trip I have been cooking up for a while now. Since late last summer, in fact, and things did not work out then for this to happen, but this year my circumstances are different. I see no reason why this tour won't occur. But the best thing now is that I have the Singular, whereas last year I was going to "get by" with my BMC. 

The BMC loaded up was a bit of a handful in looser, deep gravel to the point that it was going to be a detriment to me getting this tour in if conditions were like that for a big part of my planned route. The fact that this Singular has wider, more loose terrain friendly rubber will take that worry right off my mind now. So, this Gryphon will be the bike I use for that tour. 

With trips like that planned one and with the capabilities for loose, muddy road, and light snow riding covered, this bike will find a lot of usage here. It also can be my MTB hardtail, so it takes a place in the stable for those rides as well. 

And those are my intentions for this bike. Any questions? You know what to do....

4 comments:

Derek said...

Looks really nice with all the silver bits! It's like a big brother to your Fargo :-)

Guitar Ted said...

@Derek - Yeah, pretty much! Thank you!

S.Fuller said...

It's amazing how "normal" looking those 29x2.8 tires look on there. Part of it may be the tanwall breaking the tire up a bit, but at first glance, it doesn't LOOK like it's running a tire that big. Happy your bringing the Twin Six down for Gents, but I was hoping to see this thing tear up some sandy Story County roads :)

Guitar Ted said...

@S. Fuller - The scale of the frame is such that it keeps the perception of the tires in check a little. Had these big tires been on the OG Gryphon, it would be somewhat comical. (And now that the tires are dirty they do look ginormous, by the way)