Thursday, June 08, 2023

Moving On

 With last week's trip in the rear view mirror, now I am looking at Summer and trying to get in at least a couple of "big" rides in. I'm tempering my expectations here. Last year taught me that I have to do that. So, despite my wanderlust being at an all-time high, I will have to try to dial it all back a bit so I don't come away with a big disappointment at the end of this year. 

I may as well address something else that came up the other day on a messenger thread. I was asked about attending a certain gravel event this Summer. My answer to that is pretty much my answer going forward for the foreseeable future concerning any gravel - or other - events held typically on weekends. 

So, as many of you readers know I have taken a job as a bicycle mechanic/director/educator at a local bicycle collective. That place is open on a limited basis and has two employees. Myself and an assistant mechanic. The place is open on Saturdays, and well, I just cannot go taking the time off. 

That would be enough to answer the question right there, but there is more to it than just that. See, I took a big pay-cut when I went there and with little income comes fewer traveling opportunities. In fact, after going to the Gents Race in April and now with this last trip, I am tapped out for the remainder of this year. 

It has been difficult turning down the many opportunities I have been offered ranging from events here in Iowa to Nebraska and an invitation with amenities covered to go to Rebecca's Private Idaho, but the reality of my situation is that I cannot take those opportunities due to my job situation and my income. But also: Thank you for these kind offers. They don't get passed by without a lot of regret on my part.

But it is what it is. In the end, this places me in a very "stay at home" adventure mode and only where I can ride from Waterloo Iowa is practical for me to consider. That limits me to doing just a couple of big rides at this point, and thus my having to adjust my expectations. 

So, I want to try to get in that two-day mini-bikepacking deal I was all set to do last year. That got nixed when my son did not pass his drivers license test, but he eventually did. That means I can finagle a time for this trip now. 

The second thing is a century ride. Just anywhere out of here, really. That may end up being my "Death Ride" this year. Hopefully so. Stay tuned on that one. 

That's it really. I just wanted to put that down as goals and then to explain as a sort of "PSA" why I won't be going to any gravel events the rest of this year. It isn't because I don't want to.

2 comments:

NY Roll said...

We need to make that Sub-24 camp trip happen soon. I will need some positive distractions for the time being.

Guitar Ted said...

@N.Y. Roll - Absolutely.